• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

I was just wondering what you guys are using to take wildlife pics. Brand model and what lens. I have a nikon d40 and I need to get a better lens for it I just havent decided what I need any suggestions would help.

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

I have a mid range Canon Rebel 8 meg with a 70-300 sigma lens.
recently I purchased a cannon wide angle lens and am amazed by the photo quality diffrence it makes.
someday maybe a canon 400 :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

Off brand lenses can be decent to dismal.

Sigmas have a good reputation. But the very best your camera is capable of is usually with the same brand lens.
I say a 300 or 400 lens with Image Stabilization is your best bet. Also a polarizer filter is a darn good idea especially if you will be taking photos near or over water.

I took this picture with a Canon S3 IS using the Canon Telephoto adapter.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

Good info Leo thanks you for your input.

#5 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

For my nikon would I be better off to buy a 55-200mm nikkor or a 70-300mm sigma. The cost is pretty close to the same. To buy the 70-300 in a nikkor is about $500.
My other question is would I be better off to get the 55-200 and then buy a doubler.
When I was debateing between the rebel and the d40 I wish I would looked at the difference in putting lenses on them. Any info would really help

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:17 AM

honestly that would be a tough call for me to make.

nikkor are good lens ( not top end but good ) but the 200 mm is a bit short for longgggg range photos.
I have the sigma 70-300 on my Rebel and yes it is a good lens. I have to do a bit of work on the computer after I down load, to boost up the contrast and saturation , but that is about it.
Personaly having the 70-300 I want to step up to the canon X?-400 with image stablization. however that is a 1600 dollar lens. ( OUCH ) and I just dont see that happening in the near future.

Now the reason I say that is a tough call, is because, I just purchased a canon 18-55mm wide angle lens.
I've got a 28-70 mm sigma and a 70-300 sigma. I needed something that I could photograph work projects , ( being a contractor that specializes in remodles ) I needed something I could photograph inside of bathrooms or tight kitchens.

the first set of photos I down loaded with the canon lens, on my canon rebel. I about dropped my eye teeth out of my mouth. amazing the diffrence. I mean totaly amazing in the quality of the photograph.
yes I get good photos with the Sigma Lens. but I get Awesome Photo quality with the canon lens.

So the day I can lay my hands on a 70-300 canon, or up to a 400 without breaking the bank, I'll do it in a heart beat and sell my sigmas on Craigs list.

Honestly. if you are shooting nikon, stick with Nikon and save a while longer and get the longer mm lens in Nikon. You'll be a much happy wild life photographer if you do.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users