7 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

:fishing: Whistle Pig's Honeymoon fishing trip

Today the Newlyweds did something I'd never do. They took a boat ride from "The Big Island" and then jumped out of a perfectly sound boat into a shark cage Posted Image. Danielle said it was the most terrifying experience of her life. She said Great Whites were coming at the cage constantly and you could only stand in one spot because your feet & hands could slip through the openings easily. Everyone on-board loved it except her.....(I'd be identified by the extra lumpy appearance of the bottom half on my wet suit if it'd been me). They were in the cage 20 minutes and Seth got lots of photos and a video was taken of a Great White swimming at the cage while they were in it.

*Btw...they talked to an older couple on the dock who had friends from the Bellefonte PA area come to Hawaii last year...said the husband had really skinny legs and was so excited about calling in the neighbors two pet Guinea Hens with his mouth calling prowess that they didn't have the heart to tell him that they weren't actually Polynesian Turkeys ! Posted Image....Seth remarked he wasn't really familiar with too many folks from that area....got ya Paul! :lol:

Edited by Phil, 01 July 2008 - 07:23 PM.

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

Glad to hear the lovebirds are having a good time. It sure is beautiful there. OK Phil now we are even but I must get one ahead so I owe you one.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:06 AM

Tell Seth and his bride have a blast while they can - it's their time too. :clap:

Phil I have scuba dove with several types of sharks and never had any problems but never around great whites. The sheer size would make me stop. There are oceanic white tips sharks around those islands and they are man eaters either one would make me probably want to make a mess in my wet suit if I was out of the cage.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 15 July 2008 - 07:49 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

LOL Rowdy!
The kids got home and Seth set the record straight. They were Whitetip sharks and reef(?) sharks. He said the guides estimated the size range from 8-12 ft of the the bigger ones. He said they were agressive. The guide said it's been two years since they had a Great White sighting.
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

LOL Rowdy!
The kids got home and Seth set the record straight. They were Whitetip sharks and reef(?) sharks. He said the guides estimated the size range from 8-12 ft of the the bigger ones. He said they were agressive. The guide said it's been two years since they had a Great White sighting.

Phil they had seen one of the ocean's most reputable man eaters. Now that's an awesome predator to be close to with steal between the two. Their eyes have the coldest look ever and fast on coming to the dinner table. Guess who's coming to diner and there's no out running or swimming the next guy here.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 15 July 2008 - 07:47 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

now lets see the story goes
HOW TO STAY MARRIED 50 years

... promise your bride on your 10th anniversery you'll take her to hawaii
... on the 50th go back and pick her up :)

honestly...many well wish's to seth and the new bride. Glad they have fun on the honey moon. even if it was swiming with the sharks. :help:
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

Phil they had seen one of the ocean's most reputable man eaters. Now that's an awesome predator to be close to with steal between the you. Their eyes are the coldest look ever and fast on coming to the dinner table. Guess who's coming to diner and there's no out running or swimming the next guy here.

Seth took underwater video of the experience and I'll admit I pulled my feet up on the couch as those buggers brushed by the bottom of the cage on the screen. I was surprized that the cage didn't have a mesh or solid bottom....the kids had their toes clenched tight on the inner bars within a few inches of the outer ones. Danielle's facial expressions on the film revealed her nervousness....I'd have just fainted! :help: They did go snorkeling the next day in one of the bays and got some beautiful video.
Posted Image

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

Seth took underwater video of the experience and I'll admit I pulled my feet up on the couch as those buggers brushed by the bottom of the cage on the screen. I was surprized that the cage didn't have a mesh or solid bottom....the kids had their toes clenched tight on the inner bars within a few inches of the outer ones. Danielle's facial expressions on the film revealed her nervousness....I'd have just fainted! :help: They did go snorkeling the next day in one of the bays and got some beautiful video.

Facing one those large sharks would make me think long and hard about how sweet life is too!
I've scuba dove with a professional group in 50 feet of water in the Caribbean off Belize near the barrier reef while they fed the sharks. They were feeding grey reef sharks and other whaler sharks. Their professional lead diver feeds the sharks in a steal mess suit while we other divers about 10 of us PAID to get the begebbers scared out of us by large adult sharks with their mouths a gap swim past with in arms reach. We had our backs to a wall of reef while the feeding took place about 20 feet away. You keep telling yourself kneeling there to breath and slow down cause you want to watch but you don't want to run out of air too soon and have swim away through a wall of feeding sharks. When it was all over and back on top you feel so different about things you're at a lose for words for awhile. I bet Danielle had the same encounter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users