• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dclevinger

dclevinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

If anyone here is interested in seeing how hand engraving is done......I've made a couple of short videos and put them on YouTube. This one Grip Cap shows engraving English scroll on the grip cap for a 470 double rifle. I'm also going to do some on other styles of scroll, gold inlay, etc. as well as rust bluing and French gray. Take a look and let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

David
David
www.dcengraving.com

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

Very nice David.

I enjoyed watching that :)
Posted Image

#3 woodys_daughter01

woodys_daughter01

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

:clap: Wow, Dave that was very interesting. I used to be an engraver. I did not have the pleasure of hand engraving but I did use a pantograph, which is a manual engraver. I have engraved names on belt buckles, beer mugs made of pewter, small funeral urns, and a myriad of large cup trophies and anything that would fit into my machine.

I have also engraved trophy plates for the Edmonton Oilers, and most notably, the CFL Coach of the Year trophy of 2001 using a computer aided rotary engraving machine.

I once engraved a .22 rifle bolt using the pantograph. That was tricky business as the bolt was decorative and plated with a layer of soft sterling silver, so I had to be careful not to put too much down-pressure on it so as to cause it to bubble up at the edge of the engraved lines, but still mark it clearly enough to be easily read. It looked really nice when I was done.

I have used a computer-aided laser engraver to engrave all manner of items...if they were not likely to burst into flame, and would fit in the bay, it was done!!! One of the most notable pieces I engraved in the laser was a rifle stock - added a motif of a duck hunter with his dog and, of course, the birds burned right into the wood and then used black shoe polish to inlay color....just wipe on, rub in and wipe off!

Good luck and continued success with your remarkable talent and product!

Deb aka, Woodys Daughter01 :D
Dream, Strive, Drive

Sometimes I wonder, why is that Frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.

#4 woodys_daughter01

woodys_daughter01

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

:blink: Meant to ask if you ever do belt buckles, spurs or bits? They are beautiful when hand engraved and customized!

Deb
Dream, Strive, Drive

Sometimes I wonder, why is that Frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

Cool video!
-Eric

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

First time I ever actually seen that done. Very cool vid. Wish I was that steady to make something like that. Thanks for posting.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 dclevinger

dclevinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

I'm glad you liked the vids. I'll get more up as soon as I can.

Deb, buckles and spurs are usually done in "Western bright cut" which I don't do. If you're looking to have something done, let me know and I'll give you a couple of names.

David

Edited by McBruce, 11 July 2008 - 09:23 PM.

David
www.dcengraving.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users