• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

Man I must have been off the planet or something but I just learned that Remington Arms has purchased New England Firearms. Remington has also stopped the production of muzzleloaders from NEF. NEF muzzleloaders were American made and much praised and prized by their owners. Remington has a muzzleloader called the Genesis. The Genesis is not exactly the best muzzleloader out there. Plus the fact that the Genesis has to take a boat ride to get here from off shore. I have never been a died in the wool Remington guy and have heard that their quality for the past few years has been shoddy at best. Now they buy a company and stop production of an inexpensive American muzzleloader which has head and shoulders quality above their current offering. :curse:
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

Best way to get rid of the competition....buy them out.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

Remington was never even a choice when I have considered buying a gun anyway. :thumbsdown:
Now when they go and do crap just like this I will not support them. That my view on this.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

I have noticed that Remington has gone downhill, as well. Their warranty plan stinks too. If I need a new toy to play with, it is either a Ruger #1 or a Weatherby. I needed some parts for one of my mark 5's and Weatherby sent them to me for free. Browning charged me $10.00 for shipping and handling. Ruger sent them free. Remington wouldn't honor their warranty, sooooo, you get 3 guesses as to whether or not I will be a Remington customer ever again.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

Remington Arms Company, Inc., headquartered in Madison, North Carolina, designs, produces and sells sporting goods products for the hunting and shooting sports markets under a family of famous brands including Remington, Marlin, H&R 1871, LLC, New England Firearms, LC Smith and Parker as well as solutions to the military, government and law enforcement markets.

Back in the late 70's many of my friends owned and hunted with Remington 700 BDL model bolt action rifles. And without arguement they were and still are a great rifle. I bought instead an old (late 60's or early 70's I bought used) Remington 742 Carbine in 30-06 and that little rifle in the woods is just hard to beat. Its accurate, fool proof, and never gave me any problems. Yet a friend of mine a few years back bought a Remington Semi Automatic in 30-06 carbine. I believe his model is 7400. And while mine will shoot any brand of ammo with excellent accuracy, his liked to jam if it gets anything other then Remington. He finally sold it and wanted to purchase mine which I told him... not on your life.

Its a shame when a company swallows up another company to avoid competiton but that is the name of the game. What is all your views on the Marlin lever gun. I still want to get one of them in .444, .450 or .45/70. Not that I would hunt with it, but I just wanted to own one...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

What is all your views on the Marlin lever gun. I still want to get one of them in .444, .450 or .45/70. Not that I would hunt with it, but I just wanted to own one...

I won a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun in a raffle a couple years back.

Fun to shoot. (Bullet has an arch like an NBA jump-shot. :) ) The gun handles flawlessly; reminds me of when I started out on the old Marlin 30-30.

Posted Image
LOVE the gun!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

Now that looks real nice Jer real nice! :boone: :clap:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#8 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Best way to get rid of the competition....buy them out.

Worked for Jim Beam. They bought out their main competition, Old Crow (a fine bourbon back then) and then started putting their lowest grade product out under the Old Crow label.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#9 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

Cayugad,the Marlins get my vote hands down. Dunno how many of them that I have owned, but every one of them was an excellent shooter, and the 444 or 45 70 will stop anything that walks, runs crawls or swims. Also, if you get one, YOU WILL HUNT WITH IT! They fit like a glove, are fairly light to lug around and are a snap to tear apart for cleaning or whatever you have in mind. They also take a wicked handload without complaining.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

That is exactly the rifle I want... But I really would probably never shoot it. My friend hunted with that 45/70 and in the hardwoods, he could really get on target and lay a world of hurt on a whitetail with that thing. Of course the shots were all pretty close. But he then sold that rifle (without telling me) and got a .270 bolt action. He said he sold the 45/70 because of the recoil, only to find out his Savage .270 he said kicks just as bad.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users