• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

i am thinking of switching from my whisker biscuit to a drop away rest due to my biscuit getting worn and arrow fletching ripples.have any of you tried this muzzy zero effect and how do/did you like it?

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

I bought one once and it would not fit my Mathews bow for some odd reason. I contact Muzzy too for help and they were excellent and the pro shop I used just could not get it right. I know some bowhunters that love them.

I use the QAD Pro ultra HD fall away rest now. Quality Archery Design This spring I took off the Rip Cord rest that I really liked a lot. It worked great and never failed me in all sorts of weather for several years of use. It was just a bit noisy when firing it off cause it hit the shelf or padding on it and internally was noisy. The QAD HD rest is very adjustable to find your center shot and clear the fletching during the shot. It's very simple to understand and it does not have bounce back when it falls down on the shelf like some fall aways have when they hit the shelf. Actually it does not hit the shelf at all on my setup. It has a built in noise absorber making it quieter than the Rip Cord rest. It contains the arrow before you draw back or when in the locked up position so the arrow can't fall off the rest. It won't drop away when you have to let down from a full draw containing the arrow from swinging off the rest. It's one to consider in my humble opinion.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 16 July 2008 - 08:32 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

Hey Bill, how's it going? I have had a Muzzy on my Martin since 2005 and it works great. I had a little trouble getting it tuned in until Jeremiah put the whuppin' on it at Elkatraz I. It's worked fine ever since. I do have an issue keeping mole skin on the thin edge, but other than that I am happy with it.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

Some bows may perform best with another choice, but Muzzy has put forth the effort to make different models for different bows with different needs. A qualified tech should be able to get one working for you.

All told, they're pretty well bullet proof and still the quietest "fall away" rest on the market with the fewest parts (no internal parts or springs at all).

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

The Muzzy Zero Effect is a great rest IF it is installed correctly.

Unfortunately, Rowdy's experience is far too common. I don't know why. If you follow the directions carefully installing that rest should be a slam dunk.

I believe in general folks try to make the rest drop too fast. The Muzzy rest actually can be adjusted to drop too quickly. If it drops before the arrow has enough momentum to stay stable, the arrow will "dive".

You want the Muzzy to stay up for the first few inches of travel for it to work right. ;)

I like the MZE very much. Once it's right it stays right.
Posted Image

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

I have used the muzzy for quit some time now, and I even bought Rowdy's muzzy he couldn't get to work on his bow. As Leo said it is a very quiet rest and I have had no problems with mine. Just follow the direction on the video that they give you and you will be ok. I have set up a few for other people and they love theirs as well.

turbo

#7 808XT

808XT

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, computers

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

I used the MZE (Next Generation for Mathews) on my Switchback XT and harvested two deer with it (I've only been deer hunting with a bow for 3 years). It worked flawlessly and is probably the quietest drop away rest around. The only reason I switched to a QAD Pro HD is the full containment feature. I like to sit in the stand with my bow in my lap and sometimes the arrow would slide off of the MZE. It's not as easy to set up as the QAD but it is definitely a rest I wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend.

#8 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

They have a Zero Effect at a local store here on clearance for $20! I'd like to get rid of my Whisker Biscuit and try something new and was considering the Muzzy for $20, but I like the QAD Pro because the arrow won't fall off.
-Eric

#9 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

ERIC, I WENT BACK TO THE BISCUIT AND AWAY FROM THE MUZZY REST IT WAS A PAIN TO TUNE,I SWITCHED TO BLAZER VANES WITH MY BISCUIT,I HAVE NEVER SHOT BETTER.
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users