Colorado Division Of Wildlife

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

Back in feb I purchased my hunting lic, fur bears, small game, fishing combo and I purchased the 10.00 habitat stamp. Depending on what you are hunting and what lic you get, there is a 5.00 stamp and a 10.00 stamp.

I always buy the 10.00 stamp. Now I should be covered for any additional big game stamps I get.

Well I put in for my draws, and everything went fine. Then it came time for Limited bear tags.
Now when they hit, its first come first serve. So I'm on my way to town and I call a buddy of mine and remind him, today is the day for the limited bear. When I stop to buy a tag, I messed up. I didnt have my hunter saftey card with me. Now i've got a verified number, it shows on my lic. but the store wouldn't sell unless they could actually see the card.

when I got home I went on line and filled out the application that way. the unit I wanted my bear tag in, only put out about 90 tags. by 7 pm it was down to 6 tags left. I fill out the online application and it kicks back telling me I don't have my habitat stamp. The ONLY way I could get my bear lic and not miss out was to pay for another stamp. Thus what I did.

I got my bear lic and I have a reciept that shows the DOW's website claims I don't have a habitat stamp, which I had setting next to me on my desk.

Then I talk to my buddy. turns out he got hit the same way. when he went on line it claimed he didn't have a habitat stamp and he had to pay an additional 10 dollars as well for a stamp he already had.

so my unit alone is 90 bear tags. at 10 bucks a tag, the DOW has now over charged 900 dollars to hunters. because of a glitch in their system. not to mention all the other units. we are talking thousands of dollars here.

So I send an email to the DOW, I figure they will want to know about this problem and chances are they will correct it. right? WRONG!!!!!!

here is the reply I got just a few mins ago.

Hi Bruce,

You are correct your record shows you have two annual habitat stamps.
You only needed on. Unfortunately it too late for the transaction to be
reversed out.
The online system is designed to recognize when an individual has met
their quota of habitat stamps.

I am sorry for the problems you experienced.

Bob Fisher
Colorado Division of Wildlife
6060 Broadway
Denver CO,80216

Well their system didnt recognize that I had met my quote nor that of other hunters. however according to mr fisher, its to late for the transaction to be reversed out. ( ie they are going to keep my money ) and that of anyone else who didn't question it.

Sorry guys, I am a huge supporter of the DOW and I know they have a tough job.
but happens once mistake, happens to multiple people...thats not good.
and if it turns out it is happening to others and they know it.

Thats simply theft in my opionion.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Well I replied to Mr Fishers email.

So I just lost 10 dollars on a computer error ?

I'm not the only person this is happening to. I know other guys who had the
exact same thing happen to them?

Just not good business to stick people like that.

I'm very disappointed to say the least.

and this is the reply I got in return.

Dear Sir,

I believe you seen a pop-up for a habitat stamp and then purchased the
stamp. This pop-up could be confusing.
I have sent you concerns to limited licenses, they will be in
contact.

Thank you.

Bob Fisher
Colorado Division of Wildlife
6060 Broadway
Denver CO,80216

Now lets clarify something. I did not click on the wrong pop up. I tried to purchase a limit bear tag, and the website would not allow me to do so stating that in order to get a bear tag I needed a habitat stamp.
it backed me up and I had to then click on habitat stamp, and add 10.00 to my purchase ( it would not allow me to get the 5.00 stamp ) in order to get my bear tags.

I'll now wait and see what happens if they contact me and what they will do.

hopefully it will be to correct the problem.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

I will say this you're getting a timely response from Mr. Fisher. These day's that's pretty positive about the DOW and probably getting somewhere with the State to remedy the problem and get your refund back. I would then hope the DOW are proactive in refunding the other hunters their money. Be persistant in your position Bruce - DOW admits you're correct and it will give them no choice but to refund you. It's always hard for a government body to admit they made a mistake.

I have to agree the computer programer just didn't think that one through before making it a live application.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

Well the last email from Mr Fisher is stating I should never assume and that as he stated before, I made the mistake with the pop up that was a reminder. He can not accept the fact that I tried to close out and pay and it would not allow it, untill I purchased another habitat stamp.

That is what is upsetting the most. I didn't notify them asking for a refund, I notified them of a problem that occured and I felt they should be aware of. HIS assumption is that I made the mistake, not knowing what I did or didn't do on check out.

We'll see what happens but I'm not holding my breath.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

That stinks!! Hopefully they realize their mistake..
-Eric

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

I need to check mine, it seem like every time we put in for any online tag it wants us to buy the habstamp. Only one per yr per hunter is reqd but I think they are hammering us. I think the DOW does great work with great people but their internet is sucking us dry.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

I got a reply from someone diffrent. They won't address the issue I'm asking about. The claim it was a pop up I clicked on but shouldnt have it bogus. It honestly would not allow me to check out untill I purchased the stamp. Well the new persons reply states that you need either the 5.00 stamp for one big game, or the 10 dollar stamp for all big game.
since i have elk, deer and now bear I should have only needed the 10.00 stamp which I already had and since I already had it they will refund me 10.25 cents in 6-8 weeks.

but no mention of the problem or the issue. :(

oh well
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 davepross54

davepross54

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:56 PM