Taxidermy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:46 PM

Okay... I am curious about this.

I've always done my own turkey mounting. Generally, we're talking about curing the fan and tacking it, the beard, and spurs to a plaque and then hanging the whole deal on the wall. Naturally, after you have a wall or two full of those you start to "cull" smaller or "lesser" mounts any time you get a really nice bird. The rest you tend to just snag the beard and spurs from and put them in your "beard box" or make a snazzy spur necklace respectively.

All well and good. Except...

I am considering having a full body mount done. (Supposedly a buddy of mine did one for me years ago as part of a taxidermy class he was taking at the time or something to that effect, but I've never seen it.) I sort of know what to look for... Pretty sold on a freeze dried head unless I find a true artist of a taxidermist who can really paint a realistic fake turkey head/neck. But, what I am wondering about are "average" prices and wait times. So, if y'all start posting up I should be able to get a rough estimate of what to expect. Also, what prep, if any, do you generally do to a bird prior to taking it in.

Thanks!

P.S. If any of you Western PA or Eastern Ohio boys have someone you recommend I am all ears.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:28 PM

Laylon Taxidermy in Montoursville is one of the best Jeremiah. He does all the local trophies for several business's. He did Huck's Amen buck and 4 of mine. ...of course Will's taking him elk hunting this fall but he's a turkey hunting fanatic!
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Jere I too make my own. Of course like you I take the fan legs and beard and make my own plaque. Never have had a full body mount done. If the guy that did Hucks buck does equally well on turkeys they must be good. I transported Hucks buck head all the way to Kansas and did a handoff to another friend of his so I had ample opportunity to look at it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

My friend Tom is an expert Taxidermist and can do a great job at a very good price. I think full body Turkey mounts should be done professionally or it will loose it's feathers in a few years.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users