• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:06 PM

Eric, Phil, Woodhick and possibly a couple of others all went to camp to hunt the elusive wild turkey. I had to stay near home as the lady watching pop-pop had to leave at 12:00. I went out back even walked to get there. Well at about 7:00 I got a gobble to my calls. Then at about 8:00 a couple of hens came to the field followed by a nice longbeard. I was set up at the far end of the field but the gobbler would not come close. He just stood on the top of a small hill and strutted. When the hens fed to the other end of the field he followed. They did this for three times. I then moved to a sink hole surrounded by trees and sat down. I could not see any turkeys at all but started playing gobbler tunes on my box call. and here he came right back to the top of the hill when he finally folded up his feathers he came right down to me and BOOM My day was done. The time was 11:15. That means I worked that bird for 3 hrs and 15 minutes till I got the opportunity to shoot. He weighs 18 lb, sports 3/4 inch spurs and a 10 1/2 in beard. My guess is he is a two yr old bird but was king of the hill in that area. If any of you remember the sage of the General I shot last year this was most likely one of his sons.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

:D Congrats Paul!
Gary & I went to the spot JGabel & I got into birds last Saturday. 3 were gobbling pretty good and 2 were coming in with hens. I spotted a turkey to my left moving towards our decoys, then it went behind some brush out of sight breifly. A minute later I caught movement at the same spot but it didn't look right so I figured it was a squirrel. Suddenly we heard "Putt Putt"....(not good) then all was quiet for a few minutes. The sound of one coming up from the area I'd seen movement turned out to be a big yote. I whispered to Gary to shoot it if he wanted since he'd never harvested one. 10 seconds later....dead yote 18 yards away! End of gobbling ! We did hear the younger Rice shoot ;) across the hollow an 1 1/2hr later. On the way out Gary was passing the aluminum ladder stand and came face to face (10 yds) with the biggest bear he's ever seen in the woods :worry: . Sure was an interesting morning in the PA mountians! :yes:
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

Wow this is turning to be a real wild Spring Gobbler season. I am now standing at 3 birds and Eric 1 and sounds like there are plenty at camp yet. Eric and I are going up one evening this week, staying overnight and hunting the next morning. Providing we don't tag out here monday. We will be available as guides if that happens. :lol:

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:23 AM

Sure was an interesting morning in the PA mountians! :yes:

You know Phil this has been a wonderful year all around. :yes: B) :D
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:33 AM

Congratulations Paul!!! Was it Leo who wrote that the greatest asset in turkey hunting is patience?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Congratulations Paul!!! Was it Leo who wrote that the greatest asset in turkey hunting is patience?

First and foremost, you have to have done the scouting that gives you the confidence to be patient in an area you know eventually the birds will show up in. ;)

Identifying the roost areas is only 5% of a turkeys day. There's alot of daylight of opportunity you're missing out on if that's where you stop scouting.
Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

Boy Leo you are so so right. I have found that hunting them off the roost is one thing but you had better be towards where they want to go to call them in once they fly down or all you will get is answers to your calls. But get between them and their strut zone and in they come. Scouting the roost sites is necessary but scouting where they go after fly down is critical. Knowing where they go to strut is also useful for later in the morning. I was fortunate yesterday to know this bird's probable actions that I set up near the strut zone and had turkeys in view most of the morning. It was a corn field and those birds circled the field 3 times. On the last circle I held the attention of the gobbler till the hens were out of sight and he and the two jakes took off a running to catch up with the hens. I figured either they lost the hens or they went up in the woods as that is where the gobbler I shot came from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users