Perfect Timing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:45 AM

Yesterday we got to meet some new friends. Grant and Deb, I met via the Mathews Archery website. Grant and 3 of his boys are planning a DIY Elk hunt this year. Well they are sort of on vacation, sort of doing some bike ralleys and sort of on a pre season scouting trip. So last night we meet up and got introduced face to face for the first time. We've been sharing emails back and forth for over 6 months now. After going out to dinner I took them up to see the Mouth of the Blue River. On our drive in we saw, Mule deer and other smaller wild life. But just as we reached the lake, here comes mountain goats. If you just stood still they would come right up to you, wanting to check you out. Not wanting food. Grant had a cookie he tried to share that they didn't want, just sniffing around.

In any case they never expected this time of a Colorado Greeting. :)

Here are a couple of photos from the evening.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Was a pretty cool experince to have, let alone to have new friends along.

Well today we head out to do some scouting and give them some ideas where to chase elk.
Think I'm gonna take them back and show them unit 36. Back side of Elkatraz II.
They also want to check out the wilderness area around Eagles Nest.

I'm sure we'll have more photos after today.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

There Ya go You did it again, gettin Peopel hooked on them there mountain's eh Good on Ya Bud. By the way Great Pics thanks for sharing
3:) :clap: :clap:

Edited by Woody, 22 July 2008 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Cool pics Bruce. I can't believe how close mountain goats come...
-Eric

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

Excellent pics! Strange that they would come up to you like that.

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

That is amazing! What an experience for you guys.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Down right awesome time and thanks for sharing that with us. Good luck scouting.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:44 AM

Hey McBruce those are kin to me. I had a talk with them when I was there and arranged for them to be a greeting committee to folks glad they are following my directions. Next time you see them tell them thanks from me. :o) :blink:
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

what an awesome way to meet new friends. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

turbo

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:29 PM

Well the following day was just as exciting if not more so.

took them out to black lake and tried to quad in. MAN with the pine beetle kill off, the forest sure is changing. Where for years where I've hunted that was pine needle floor is now knee high vegitation, grasses, flowers. its amazing, The amount of food out there for the animals is unreal. Hunting is going to make a big change now.
When I say tried to quad in. The trails were blocked, dead fall tree's all over the place. We made it about 1/2 way in, and just couldn't find a way through the pick up sticks and then had to work our way out.

Next we headed up through Spring Creek Ranch and up to Elliots ridge trail head and drove around the area we did Elkatraz II. The loved the scenic part of it all, saw some sign but not alot.

Then we drove down to Larrys LOOK OUT. man the views were the same as when Larry took us all over there. Meadows filled with elk.
Finaly on the way out...look back at eagles nest and there are 5 bulls out in the meadow.

Also spotted a bear, and some really nice mule deer.
was an amazing day. Grant and Deb are coming over for dinner tonight and start their trip back to Minnisota tomorrow. I think I heard converstations about finding where they wanted to retire....I laughed said come back in Feb and make sure on that :)

here are a couple more photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by McBruce, 23 July 2008 - 02:37 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:03 AM

:clap: :clap: Nice job Bruce. What a tour from the pics and I know it's just the tip of the iceberg. And that mulie might be the winning buck in the deer contest from your picture.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#11 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

Bubba; Great photos again of Colo's beauty and wildlife. Glad you are helping a new friend and a fellow Mathew's archer. Good luck this fall in unit 36 . HH in Pa :boone:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users