15 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

I have been looking at buying a T/C Encore Endeavor this year. It's capable of the exchangable barrel and could be set up with one of many different caliber receiver barrel.

That's one of the pro's to it what do you guys or gals know about the other pro's or the cons to this style of weapon?

I was hoping it might serve me in two different calibers in the future but the cost is actually more the two T/C caliber configurations than owning the two different rifles from other quality manufacturers so to me it then falls into being in the con category.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

that was what I was going to add Mark was the price of the barrels you could own more guns (this comes in handy when you have more then 1 hunter in the family or you are going with someone that needs to borrow one) the advantage of the interchangable (IMO) is less space taken up when traveling on trips with them and wanting to hunt multiple seasons (rifle/shotgun and black powder) again just my oppinion I think they are neat but my preferance is to have the guns not just a barrel its all in your personal preferance
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

I still have, and use eclusively, my T/C Encore .270 that I won as part of the prize package way back in the BSOTH days. I took my Pronghorn in Wyoming with it and have lost count of how many White Tails. It not only has great sentimental value but it's an awesome gun to hunt with as well. It's tack driver acurate, with the Busnell 3200 Elite on top. It's very simple to use, very mechanicaly strong, shoulders and carries like a dream and one shot, one kill has never posed a problem. On dangerous game I might have second thoughts, wanting a back up shot to be ready, but it will do anything I'll ever need it to. Hey look at what Jim Shockly hunts with and he hunts Griz! :lol: You not only have a selection of center fire barrels, but muzzle loader and shotgun as well. I also can't think of another firearm that has so many stock options as the Encore. If you can dream up a stock for it then I'll garauntee you someone is already offering it. Yes the barrels are exspensive, buttttt, you get what you pay for. T/C 's quallity is legendary. Plus you have the advantage of shouldering a gun you're very use to, every time, rather than switching to a totaly differant firearm. I have some nice, high quallity guns that I could hunt with, but I just can't imagine leaving my Encore at home. If I ever did, I'm willing to bet, before I got to where I was going I'd turn around, head home, and get my Encore. I'm just that passionate about hunting with it. Jason hunts with a Ruger Mark II All Weather 7 mm mag. A very, very nice gun. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, but...he's shot my Encore several times and you know what? Jason wants an Encore! :D If you choose one, I doubt you'll ever regret it.

Edited by Spirithawk, 23 July 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#4 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

great rifle,hardest part is choosing calibers,50 cal/270 0r 25-06 :boone:
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

great rifle,hardest part is choosing calibers,50 cal/270 0r 25-06 :boone:

You read my mind Bill :lol: :lol:

Spirit thanks that's what I wanted to hear I guess to sell me on it.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 24 July 2008 - 03:06 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:23 PM

You're most welcome. :D

#7 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

SpritHawk is right on the points of if you have a weapon that fits and you have all the convidence in then 9/10s of the battle is allready won no matter what it the weapon is as all the rest is a little luck. I remember when SpritHawk won that rifle no man could have been more prouder or gratefull a first class act IMHO.

Edited by Joe, 02 August 2008 - 04:24 PM.

MR300WM

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

SpritHawk is right on the points of if you have a weapon that fits and you have all the convidence in then 9/10s of the battle is allready won no matter what it the weapon is as all the rest is a little luck. I remember when SpritHawk won that rifle no man could have been more prouder or gratefull a first class act IMHO.

Thanks bud. I apreciate the kind words. :D I often find myself looking at my pronghorn mount and reliving that hunt. My wife gives me a hard time everytime I pop the video of the hunt in. :lol: I recently put a synthetic camo stock on the Encore. Can't wait to take it hunting again. I too have struggled with the price of barrels for it. Recently thought of buying a 209 x .50. Bought a Optima Pro instead. Mainly because my son has an Optima and I realy like it and wanted another rifle to add to our collection. But, in going to gun shows I did notice something very significant. The price of a good used barrels have really came down. Could have picked up the muzzleloader barrel I wanted, complete with forearm, for $150 in great condition. Had I had the money at the time I'd now own that barrel. Seen a few more priced good too. Only problem is when I'm looking for one, I can't find it. Run short of money and every dang time one pops up! |(*,)

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

What if you get one with two barrels right off the bat and later decide you don't like it?

It's easier to sell two guns one at a time and recover some of your money. IMO, you'll have to really cut your price a lot more to sell a two barrel set up that's used.
Posted Image

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

What if you get one with two barrels right off the bat and later decide you don't like it?

It's easier to sell two guns one at a time and recover some of your money. IMO, you'll have to really cut your price a lot more to sell a two barrel set up that's used.

Gun Broker.com Leo. I bet I could sell the barrel on there and then the rifle with the other barrel.

Anyway I got the .243 barrel for this gun for Christmas and yes it took to me over five months to go sight the gun in with this barrel on it. With Winchester 55 grain silvertip varmit rounds I was grouping in a 1" circle at 100 yards. It took two rounds to sight it in. This is an interesting rifle. I might go ahead and get the .270 barrel for it next. :bigthumb:

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

Rowdy do you know what rate of twist your 243 barrel has. The 243 usually has a 1 in 9 twist, at least the ones I have owned had. This rate of twist never seemed to stabilize the lighter bullets as well as it did with the heavier ones. I actually found my best accuracy in that caliber with 100 grain bullets. When I was playing exclusively with the 243 the lightest bullets offered were around 70 grains and I tried them all and as I went heavier and heavier the accuracy improved. I also have some experience with the 270 and have used this caliber since the middle 70s. I found that the 130 grain bullets gave good accuracy as does the 150 grain bullets. I have used the lighter bullets but again got my best accuracy with the heavier bullets.

As to reselling a rifle or tc rifle barrel that should not be a problem. This rifle has enough popularity that you should find a buyer.
I look at a rifle with exchangeable barrels as having many pros and cons.
Pros would be the same fit feel and function with any barrel. Ease of changing from one barrel to another. Single shot making the shooter concentrate on one shot one kill.
Cons would be if a malfunction or something breaks you cannot hunt till it is fixed no matter how many barrels you have for it i.e. no backup rifle. Being a single shot can be a con as there is not as fast a followup shot as can be attained by repeater type rifles.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

Well it sounds like you got a real good one. And you like the rifle. That's a good thing.

To me the biggest advantage of having a switch barrel gun like that would be increasing the opportunities I could use the gun.

A muzzle loading barrel for muzzle loading season.
A rifled slug barrel for shotgun only states (like Ohio) ;)
A scopable shotgun barrel for turkey hunting.

Bergara makes barrels that are guaranteed to out perform the factory barrels.
Posted Image

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

Great points Leo. As to Bergara barrels though they are made in Spain and I suspect at the same factory as the CVA, Traditions, Remington Genesis, and Winchester Apex. Since these are far from my favorite line of rifles I am a bit predjudiced with Bergara. They may be just the ticket but as I said I am a bit prejudiced. I would have to know at what pressures these barrels are being proofed before my personal stamp of approval would be put on them. I have read and heard on tv that these barrels are a really good thing. If that factory would only apply the same quality to their entire line of rifles they could be unbeatable.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 26 May 2009 - 09:39 AM.

#14 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Rowdy do you know what rate of twist your 243 barrel has. The 243 usually has a 1 in 9 twist, at least the ones I have owned had.

PAR the catalog on line for TC doesn't describe the barrel other than it's length and if it comes with sights, blued or SST treatment.

The Winchester Silver tip bullet was highly recommended by several competition shooters at one of the local gun shops. The Hornaby round that's like it comes in 58 grain and they said it shots very similar. I would suspect a heavier round should sight all together different and could be used on some larger game.

Mine is the longer 26" heavier bull SST barrel without sights so I mount a Leupold scope on it. I forget what model scope right now but it only has a 10 magnification to it. It seemed plenty at 100 yards but I'm sure more mag. might be better for anything further out like a ground hog at 200 yards or more.

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

Rowdy what you re getting accuracywise is quite good. One way to get some sort of determination as to rate of twist is use a tight fitting patch on a cleaning rod. One way is to push the patch about 3/4 into the barrel and make a mark on the rod and possibly a temp mark on the barrel. Then pull the rod until it make exactly one full revolution and make another mark on the ramrod. Remove the rod from the barrel and measure the distance between the marks. This should give you a pretty fair idea of the rate of twist. Usually and I say usually the faster the rate of twist the better the barrel will shoot the heavier bullets and the slower the rate of twist the better the barrel will shoot lighter bullets. For example my 243 that I shot so much was a 1 in 9. My 222 rem is a 1 in 12. The reason for the difference is what the expected bullet weight is to be shot from each rifle. If your twist is slower than 1 in 9 i.e. 1 in 10 or 1 in 12 then the lighter bullets will shoot best. You are right in that a 55 grain bullet will not impact at the same point as the heavier offerings. Infact when I compare two different bullet weights from the same rifle I do not look at where they hit the paper but how close a group each one shoots. If a different bullet hits different but holds a better group it is just a resighting to put the better group in the bullseye. As for barrel length the biggest advantage is you get a bit more speed out of a longer barrel than you do a short one. Also a longer barrel is heavier than a short one and most likely will have a bit better resonance or vibration than a shorter one and can give a bit better accuracy in that respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users