• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 my7pointmonster

my7pointmonster

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Competitive 3D, Bowhunting, Videoing hunts, Camping, fishing and Predator Hunting.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

The hunt is comming to a close on the first day of archery season, As your starting to get out of the "zone" you notice a Mature doe without fawns walking out into the center of your shooting lane, quartering away, 20 yards Perfect shot and shooting conditions, Now for the tough part, you only get 1 doe tag a year and the year prior was less than stellar in the sightings department, So now the question becomes, Do you sling an arrow? or dont you?

I'll post my answer with what I did in a few days.

I'm curious what you will say.

Ryan.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

In my experience the doe is more of an opportunity than a buck as there are usually more of them. That being said one in the sights is worth many in the brush. I personally have passed up shots never to have another that season. I would take the shot.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

:boone: i never pass up a deer on the first day that i wouldnt pass up on the last day.......my freezer is not picky :D

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#4 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

the year prior was less than stellar in the sightings department, So now the question becomes, Do you sling an arrow?

depends on how much practice you put in prior to season I could go both ways
if I havent practiced much and was leary I would pass but then again them backstraps on the dinner plate is a whole lot better then a can of spam
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:14 AM

A doe is for filling the freezer. I'd shoot it if my intent was to fill a freezer. And I would shoot it even if it had fawn/fawns, IF I determined that, indeed, that was a deer I wanted. Passing good shots in good conditions at good ranges on good deer would beg one to ask "for what reason?"

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

Arrow away!
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:41 AM

If I've patterned a big buck in that area there's no way I am shooting a doe in prime time (light fading fast - deer moving everywhere).

If I'm "just out hunting" though (no real knowledge of any "special" deer in the area) I fling an arrow for sure.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

Bow drawn! :yes:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 my7pointmonster

my7pointmonster

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Competitive 3D, Bowhunting, Videoing hunts, Camping, fishing and Predator Hunting.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

Well, I diddnt take the shot, I drew on her, and I couldnt get steady, I diddnt feel comfortable with the shot, with me being 17 at the time its just so much fun to harvest deer so it wasnt as much I was trying to fill the freezer as I wanted to say I had the opportunity at a deer. (The year prior I saw 4 deer from early archery until late flintlock season) But I diddnt feel comfortable with the shot, I left down on it and she stood there feeding for about 15 more minutes, before she was joined by about 6 more deer two I assume to be her fawns and the rest just "deer" The point of this was I was just wondering what you guys would do since it was the first day first afternoon and only having access to one tag.

Ryan.

#10 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

I would shoot too. Who knows if I would even see a deer the rest of the season.
-Eric

#11 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

I would have taken the shot. If I felt I could make a good shot.

#12 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

If I've patterned a big buck in that area there's no way I am shooting a doe in prime time (light fading fast - deer moving everywhere).

If I'm "just out hunting" though (no real knowledge of any "special" deer in the area) I fling an arrow for sure.

Good point.

However, in the situation Ryan gave, I'm shooting.

#13 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

As my wise friend McBruce likes to say, "Never pass up on the first day of the season what would be a "trophy" on the last day of the season."
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#14 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

Never pass up on the first day what you would shoot on the last day. :D
Posted Image

#15 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

Im a meat hunter and am proud to tag & drag a doe or a buck. I hunt wmu 4c & 5c so I have lots a doe to drop. BUT...my biggest gripe in the deer wars are all the North Central PA hunters crying about the pgc wiping out their deer herd when it was the hunters who did the shooting. If you've noticed a big drop in doe #'s & it's the first day. Let her walk. You'll see if theres really a doe problem during the season. We as stewards need to micro manage our areas. The pgc does their tag allocation by average #'s over a broad area. Some areas can be over populated while others are tetering on the edge of being wiped out & they wouldnt know it. just my 2 cents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users