• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

My wife has been quite understanding (understatement) of me going hunting different places. So we needed to go somewhere we'd both enjoy and I'd have to leave the bow and gun at home.

A good friend offered us her cabin in Alaska. Sounded good to Mary. Sounded awesome to me. We went.

I did fish a couple times. Even though bear season was open I didn't hunt.

Fishing a couple times was a good compromise. This is my best Silver Salmon of the trip. Our friends son Montana is standing next to me. He's grinning from ear to ear because he just boated his first salmon minutes before.

Posted Image

We got piles and piles of pictures. It was an awesome trip.
Posted Image

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

Leo I was wondering where and what happened to you last week - you brother were missed.

Alaska - nice - very nice. Has to be a great get away vacation anyway you cut it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

Nice to know someone missed me. We brought enough Salmon home to almost comp my wifes ticket! And oh my gosh the pictures. Over 900 on four digital cameras. Two of mine and my wife and our friends.
Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

With that many pixs you have to be ambidextrous, one hand a rod and reel and the other a camera. :D I have yet to talk to anyone who came back from Alaska with something bad to say about it. I have to go sometime myself and hopefully do the fishing and hunting deal.

One of the guys here at work has a brother who lives there and he goes up every August to fish and maybe hunt for a week. Like you he brings home enough halibut, dolly Barton, trout and salmon to pay his flight.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

Another Salmon pict

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

Nice catch! :clap: :clap: You can see the colors coming out in those fish shots. I'm surprised the sea suit fit you so well! Just kidding EH!

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Nice catch! :clap: :clap: You can see the colors coming out in those fish shots. I'm surprised the sea suit fit you so well! Just kidding EH!

That Red Harsh weather suit I'm wearing is a West Marine 3rd Reef suit. I got it at a rock bottom clearance price down here because it was BIG and almost no one wears Harsh Weather gear down here.

Suffice it to say if you ever are going fishing in cold wet weather this suit is absolutely AWESOME. I stayed bone dry and comfy even though it rained the entire first day we fished. I could have sold it up there for a tidy profit if anyone else could have fit in it. Its performance did impress the locals.

Full price on these suits from West Marine is pretty reasonable. The only negative I've heard is they don't take being crumpled and stowed wet very well. This is kinda a DUH comment to me, you should never do that with any wet rain gear.
Posted Image

#8 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:28 AM

Fantastic fish Leo, they are fun to catch eh! Glad you had the gear, isn't real warm when your used to the high temps you are accustom to in the summer!
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#9 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

Very nice pics Leo. How about a few more? Stories?
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

I was wonering what happened too. Sure glad it was something fun. Wow Alaska is fun with a capital F. Glad you had a good time even though you had to leave your guns at home.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

I was certainly being watched over on this trip.

Literally ten minutes before I'm supposed to go fishing I discover my boots have sprung a leak. I had spares but I hadn't leak checked them in a while. I was a little nervous.

Then the phone rings my wife and Kathleen are at the hardware store.

Before I say ANYTHING she says.

"They have Alaskan Xtra Tough boots on sale here for $50"
Unbelievable!
"Buy them! Can you meet us at the dock? I need them, how'd you know?"
She didn't know. Kathleen just spotted them and asked Mary if I would want some.

Fluke or Blessing?

I gotta believe it was a blessing.
Posted Image

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

Have to agree you are being looked after.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

Leo; Glad you and the wife found a great place to enjoy together ! Helps preserve marriages, LOL ! Great salmon catches there. Were you near Sitka ? Happy you had a great time. HH in Pa :boone:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users