23 replies to this topic

#16 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:48 AM

I have checked the water capcity of the above mentioned calibers and is as follows 300WinMag 86grs 338WinMag 83.4 7mmRemMag 80.7 270WeaMag 74.5. So I will stick to the 300 necked down if it ever gets to happen.
MR300WM

#17 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

I been researching 25-06 vs 270(as REDGREEN is big 25-06 guy and he's 'encouraging' me to look into the 25-06) and it seems like the 270 shoots flatter farther and hits harder.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

Silver comparing the 270 to the 25-06 is like comparing the 30-06to the 270. They are all based on the same cartridge. In the 25 caliber about the heaviest bullet is 120 gr and in the 270 it is about 150 gr. I have never played with the 25-06 but have used a 257 rbts and those 25 cal bullets are game getters. My only problem with the 25-06 is the bullet weight. IMHO that restricts the 25-06 to deer sized game. The 270 is maxed out with elk sized game. Yes I know that elk have been taken with a 25-06 but it just in my mind is not an optimum caliber to do so.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#19 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

No matter what caliber you shoot, we all know that shot placement is the key. Shooting what your comfortable with and have confidence in plays a big part. That being said, I prefer a .270 because of the heavier bullet choices.

#20 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:10 AM

That's why my "go to" is a 270 Weatherby magnum, for the bigger stuff. There have been too many occasions where it leaves an exit hole the size of a melon on deer sized critters.
You are right, Charlie, the 270 does have more horsepower than the 25 06, but there are no flies on a 25 06.They stop deer and bears in their tracks. I personally haven't shot elk with mine, but I have a bud that uses his for moose. He used to shoot a 7mm magnum, but sold it after he aquired and shot it. I wouldn't have any qualms about taking mine after elk with a good 120 grain bullet.

#21 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

I have to admitt I get the same itch for the 270. someday...i'd like to pick up a 270 in wssm.
currently I have my 243 for yotes and small game, even deer. The 300 win mag for deer, elk, ( and now moose :) ) sorry I'm still pumped from that canada trip. but yea something in the middle would be nice.

guess with colorados laws I should pick up a 22-250 or something along those lines. durring big game seasons I can't hunt yotes as the 243 is considered a big game gun and your considered poaching if your out yote hunting with a 6mm or larger durring a big game season.

dang....dakota needs to move over cause I'm gonna end up in thte dog house LOL
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#22 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

I think a nice Model 54 Winchester in .270 with the nickel steel barrel would be the penultimate of rifles. It would never wear out.

( or maybe a .256 Newton http://opencarryflor...NewtonPage.html )
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#23 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

I sold my RH 270 to the Woodster and just bought a LH 270, same gun as I sold but mine has still the open sights. I added a 3-9x32 scope and nylon sling... whole thing weighs 7.7 pounds. I have to zero it at the range yet but I think it'll be a great all day mtn hiking rifle for moolies and elk. Ltwt is the way to go for us older gentlemen :thumbsup: . I still have my 12# Model 70 for LR antelope hunts and a LH .223 for I dont know what.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#24 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

I just replaced the walnut stock, with a camo synthetic stock, on my .270 Encore. It made a big differance in the weight. I totaly agree, weight plays a big factor with us older guys. It might kick a tad more but I shoot a Mossberg 835 3 1/2" mag 12 ga for turkeys and it couldn't kick any worse than that. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users