2 replies to this topic

#1 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

I got back from the YHEC program this past Friday. For those who do not know what YHEC stands for it is YOUTH HUNTER EDUCATION CHALLANGE, and is sponsored by the NRA. This year the program was held at Mansfield, PA. There were a total of 368 kids ranging from 12 to 17 years of age, and ages 12 to 14 were Juniors and the 15 to 17 were Seniors. The participants compete in 8 different catagories. 22 Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Archery, Hunter Safety Trail, Hunter Responsiblility Exam and Orienteering. There were 12 states represented, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland,Michigan, New York, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregan, Pennsylvania, Utah and Washington. This year I was on the shotgun event where we had 6 stations set up for a total of 30 sporting clay shots. The week was perfect with plenty of sunshine and the humidity was not all that bad. The Junior top three teams were #3- Pennsylvania, #2 North Carolina and #1 North Carolina for the Seniors it was #3- Pennsylvania, #2 North Carolina and #1- Oregan. The top over all Junior was from North Carolina and the top overall Senior was from Louisiana. Next year the YHEC program moves to Raton, New Mexico. and its held on the Whittington Center of the NRA. I had a great time with the kids and they were all polite. I worked with a great group of men and I am looking forward to going next year to New Mexico.

Turbo

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Awesome Dave, good to hear your feeling up to a physical challenge like that. Keeping up with kids is not easy and is sounds like a tough schedule.

Wonder why Colorado wasn't represented?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

Larry, Colorado did not come this year, they have come in the past. It takes a lot of funds to send 6 kids and coaches and parents to one of these events. When I was a coach for the Maryland team we sent 12 kids and 2 coaches and some parents to help watch the kids. For us to fly out to Raton, New Mexico it would cost us well over $12,000, and that was for air fair, hotel and meals and traveling plus rental vehicles.

turbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users