• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

i am thinking of switching from my muzzy 100 gr 3 blade to a cut on contact either muzzy phantom,magnus or similar.i want a good strong broadhead, that will serve well for whitetails and even bison. what has worked for you guys, any insight will be appreciated.

Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 05 August 2008 - 09:44 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Bill I used NAP Razorcaps and Rocky mountain TI 2 broadheads when we stalked in on those Bison. Both got a pass thru on my bull. One Muzzy 3 blade was used on the last shot and that's the arrow we found (that was a perfect length and spine) and Jeff (mudduck) gave me one of his muzzy head. It passed thru too putting blue moons in its eye and the bull into another world. :boone:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

I've taken animals with Muzzy 130gr four blades, NAP Thunderhead 100s, G5 Montec 100s, Rocket Sidewinder 100s and Rocket 125 Stricknines.

G5 Montecs are very consistent and strong. The G5 Strykers are the sharpest and most accurate fixed blade head I've ever shot though I have yet to harvest anything with them. The Montecs are outstanding penetrators. If you learn to resharpen them these are the most consistent multiple kill heads I've ever used.

All the expandables I've used are like bullets. One animal per head. You can try to replace the blades on these after a shot but the likelihood the ferrel and tip remain undamaged after a harvest is next to zero. Frankly, in my experience, on replaceable blade broadheads, tip and ferrel damage eliminates about 1/3 of them for reuse.

By far the best penetrating expandable I've ever shot is the Smoke Broadhead. They don't have a huge cutting diameter but because of their design they will cut bigger than they open. They still open to as large or larger than most fixed heads. I haven't taken anything with one yet but they are very accurate and very sharp.

The Rocket 125 Stricknines do the most damage of any head I've ever harvested anything with. Their 2 inch cutting diameter is devastating. But be warned to get the best performance out of these heads I really think you need a total arrow weight of at least 450 grains pushed at at least 275fps.

Whatever broadhead you choose it's performance will be improved by G5s ASD. Squaring up the inserts of your arrows before installing the broadhead really helps broadhead accuracy on ALL broadheads.

Edited by Leo, 07 August 2008 - 11:22 AM.

Posted Image

#4 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

thanks guys,there are so many choices these days.....almost makes it to complicated :curse: i have killed with my muzzy 3 blades,but i never get the blood trail i want.i am tormenting myself trying to find a solution,i am going to lose waht three hairs i have left.

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users