11 replies to this topic

#1 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

I just returned Saturday from two hunts...One in SE Minnesota and the 2nd in SW Wisconsin. We started in MN and hunted two days. The first was magical with several close encounters and a cutting contest with a PO'ed hen. Made the trip in itself. Then we went to Wisconsin and I took a Jake on the first day. I was sneaking thru a wooded hillside and saw a hen and what I thought was a bigger bird than he was. I froze, tried to raise gun, hen busted me but I managed to get the gun up and took the shot.
Posted Image

Then we decided to head back to MN after some landowner issues. One of my hunting partners, Jeff, grew up in the town we were hunting around and got permission from the son who runs the farm. Other family members got involved and it turned sour. Kind of put a damper on the hunt but on the last day back in Minnesota, I was on a ridge top and just hearing a few distant gobblers but down below where we'd come from there was one gobbler that was fired up. I didn't waste any time and trotted back down a logging road to the edge of the pasture. I was really foggy yet so I scooted out onto the pasture at a good pace all the way down to the farmhouse. I ran across the driveway and headed up the other side of pasture towards another bluff top. I made it up to the edge of the woods and continued down the woods edge toward the gobbler on the hillside. I stopped and called softly. He gobbled in response as I continued my way around the corner. I got as close as I dared with him being just up the hill diagonally from me. The gobblers weren't coming to call or at least not my calls this spring so I decided, since I was so close, to remain silent at least until he left his perch. He gobbled for what seemed like an hour and then the gobbling started to wane in it's frequency. Then wing beat and I watched a hen soar by up and out in front of me. Then another hen. They both landed beyond the meadow and onto the plowed field. The next gobble I heard was almost to the field. Just as I'd hoped, he had flown off his roost into the woods and was making his way to the meadow. I was afraid that he'd come out just over a little rise to my left and he did just that. He gobbled down in the field but I couldn't see him. Then he gobbled again and there he was below me. I had to move around the tree and waited until he went behind a small bush. I put the red dot on him and fired. Down he went and flopped down the meadow. It was a longer shot than I normally take but with the Winchester Xtended Range 3.5's, I knew I could make it. He was a wet mess with feathers missing from both his wings and neck and wet/broken tail feathers. Made for an ugly picture or maybe it was the guy behind the turkey!! I weighed him in at 23lb's. I haven't measured the beard yet but it's about 9". I have a 2nd tag for WI for this week but not sure if I'm going.
Posted Image

#2 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:19 AM

Sounds like some great hunting. Thanks for the story and the pics. Good luck if you head back out. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:08 AM

Great hunts & great stories, Tim (as usual). You sure do have some good times in the field!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:56 AM

Way to go ! :yes: And great huntin stories to boot. Thanks.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

Congratulations Tim sure sounded like fun to me. Thanks for sharing.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:32 AM

Awesome Tim! Great stories to boot.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

Congrats on your birds..
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

Way to connect Tim! :yes:
Posted Image

#9 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

Great Job !!!!!! :thumbsup:

#10 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

Thanx everyone, as usual the time goes too fast and then the seasons are over!! I may try and get out this week to hear some gobbling as I never tire of hearing that sweet sound. Time to prepare for fall.... :D :D

#11 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

Sorry I'm late on this one Tim but that last turkey looks like he was in a war. :o :lol: And I am talking about the bird not you this time. :rofl: :rofl:
Congrats on both birds. B) B) B) :yes:

Now if PA and I just could connect on our 2nd birds. :hmm:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#12 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

Yes Eric, he was in the Winchester Xtended 3.5 War!! Actually, he was fixing to meet up with his hens and I took a longer shot than I wanted. He had holes in him from his head down to his wings. Then he flopped down thru the meadow and the grass was sopping wet that morning as you can tell by the wet fan. He's definitely got some feathers missing. Good luck with that 2nd bird...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users