6 replies to this topic

#1 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:33 AM

Since I'm sure you guys have been waiting on pins and needles for this... :rolleyes:

As reported over the past few months, I have been having trouble with "failure to cycle" issues with my Kimber .45 with a Kimber .22LR conversion kit on it. What was happening was that pretty much with every magazine I shot through the gun I would get at least one incident where the slide would not fully cycle and lock closed. Kimber's answer was to use hyper velocity ammo and replace the main spring with a lighter unit. So first I tried the Remington Yellow Jackets with not much change in the problem. After literally thousands of rounds through the gun with this frustrating problem, I wanted to get it fixed once and for all. Please remember, too, that after putting mabye 1,500 rounds of .45acp through the gun, it has performed flawlessly. So the issue is with the .22 conversion kit.

So I took the pistol to a friend of mine who was a gunsmith / 1911 race gun builder in years past and he tore it down. He clipped 2 coils off the main spring and reassembled the gun. After test firing, the problem was a bit better, but still there. So he tore the gun down again and got out the looking glass for a close inspection. He found that the bolt face was rough and pitted and that there was a rough spot in the chamber. His deduction was that this roughness was robbing just enough kinetic energy from the action having to work harder to do its job to cause the failure to cycle issues.

So he polished the bolt face and chamber, cleaned everything up and we went back out to the range. The above work seems to have solved the problem for the most part as the pistol now fires fairly reliably, though still nowhere NEAR as fool proof as the .45acp configuration. Out of each box of 100 rounds I will still get 2 or 3 failures. While greatly improved, I still believe this is unacceptable performance and will be calling Kimber to see if they would like my conversion kit back for a factory check out. With the .45 slide on, I can feed this gun any ammo what-so-ever and it just keeps banging away. I believe the facory Kimber .22 conversion kit should do the same.

As always, I'll update what happens.

Then again, I kind of like McBruce's comment to me - "So ya buy a Kimber .45 and then put a .22 kit on it to shoot cheap and complain about the performance. That's like buying a Mercedes and then putting a Yugo engine in it drive cheap and then complain about the performance. What the heck is your problem?" :lol: :lol: Ya gotta admire his logic!

Edited by Larry $, 08 May 2006 - 08:36 AM.

Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

Although I do not own or even have shot a conversion unit I have heard that there are problems with cycling.

If it were me I would just reload the 45s making it cheaper than factory ammo and keep blazing away.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, I am still trying to find a place to set up me and McBruce's loading bench here at the camp and get started. Space is a premium around here, and if it can hold a reloading bench, then it can hold kids for summer camp.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

I moved my reloading equipment off my work bench. To another spot in the basement. It is now a bit more secure and out of the shop dust. Now I hope noone gets killed by the huge pile of stuff I moved to set up my bench. Man my basement has a lot of stuff. In the environment you are in I would say that the place needs to be secure too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

:) Larry, ya need a browning 22 pistol :) to go along with your Kimber 45 pistol.
ut oh....now mels going to be mad at me, not only do I sneak hoho's into the camp for you....I suggest you purchase more guns :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

:lol: I think she would rather I bought a gun than ate Ho-Ho's!

Yer right PA, anything that could kill or seriously injure a young camp guest has to be kept locked safely away like guns & ammo, bows & arrows, knives and hatchets, gasoline and my campfire biscuits. :sick:

Seriously, our cabin is quite small and has no basement, garage or workshop area. Ahhhhh, those small luxuries we take for granted.

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

OK, after a call to Kimber back in early May I have been shooting CCI Mini-Mag ammo through the conversion kit and no more problems. I've put just over 500 rounds through it so far without a single failure. I guess it just needed a bit more oomph to cycle cleanly.

And as always, the .45acp continues to perform flawlessly for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users