• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

hello, I am getting to the point that i am almost obsessed with archery but i am still a novice for sure. i have started fletching my own arrows and i am having a ball, i use the fletch-tite by bohning it does ok if i rough the shaft a little bit with some fine wool,and it does hold i let some dry on a patch of paper, but to the touch it does feel like its not very strong.are there any other glues i should try? also my buddy has had me do up some blazers for him, but,i had a bear of a time removing his glue residue,any tips there?

thanks as always!
Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 11 August 2008 - 10:57 AM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

I wipe some acetone on the shaft where there is glue residue, run the shaft under water to remove the acetone, and then take a Scotch-Brite pad, dip it in a combo of Comet and hot water and scrub the smaller glue off. That's how I do it. You could also use a fletch remover tool like a Norway Zip Strip tool to make it easier. Cabelas has many different kinds.

I also use Fletch-Tite PLatinum for my carbon shafts. Are you fletching carbon or aluminum arrows. If you are fletching carbon and are using the original Fletch-Tite, you should switch to Platinum.

Be sure not to touch the base of the vanes because if you remove the coating they won't bond as well.

Edited by runNgun, 11 August 2008 - 08:19 PM.

-Eric

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Very nice explanation RunNGun. :)

For the Carbon Shafts I'm finding that Loctite Super Glue GEL is an excellent and economical adhesive ;)
Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

:clap: :clap: Bill you are doing just fine. Goat Tuff glue works too for me. Run did a great job. Personally I clean my shaft with a box cutter blade and to get the rest of the glue off I run it under hot water and wipe clean with a wrag.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 12 August 2008 - 08:04 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

THANKS ALL, THATS GREAT TIPS,RUN,GREAT JOB,BUDDY...YOU MATURITY JUST BLOWS ME AWAY ,YOU ARE A CREDIT TO TODAYS YOUTH,AND THAT IS FROM THE HEART OF A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER!!! :thumbsup:

BILL

Edited by 7pointbuck, 12 August 2008 - 10:42 AM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users