12 replies to this topic

#1 Blood Bath2006

Blood Bath2006

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

What is your opinion on how they taste? I don't care for them very much. I think it taste like I'm chewing on sage grass :notalk:
Posted Image
Sonic Pro Staff Shooter

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:35 AM

What is your opinion on how they taste? I don't care for them very much. I think it taste like I'm chewing on sage grass :notalk:

Supposedly the outfitter in Colorado says the Wyoming Lopes taste that way where the S.E. Colorado ones taste great. I had a taste of a steak from one from a Colorado buck last summer while hunting there and it was different but good, no sage that I could taste.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Blood Bath2006

Blood Bath2006

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

Supposedly the outfitter in Colorado says the Wyoming Lopes taste that way where the S.E. Colorado ones taste great. I had a taste of a steak from one from a Colorado buck last summer while hunting there and it was different but good, no sage that I could taste.

Was there anything special done to the steak like marinating? I'm wondering because I was invited to hunt for them next year, but I don't hunt stuff I won't eat. If there is some way for me to make it taste better I will go though. It is in Wyoming by the way :lol: :lol:
Posted Image
Sonic Pro Staff Shooter

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:11 AM

Was there anything special done to the steak like marinating? I'm wondering because I was invited to hunt for them next year, but I don't hunt stuff I won't eat. If there is some way for me to make it taste better I will go though. It is in Wyoming by the way :lol: :lol:

To be honest I didn't see the prep of the lope steaks just after they were grilled and on the table. The outfitter offered up a fork full because I asked if they tasted like sage. :)- That's when we had the conversation about the the WY lopes verses the CO lopes taste test.

She did elk steaks the next night and it looked the same and she had it in a salt, pepper and soyi sauce bath before grilling. Nothing very fancy about the prep to the meat they served and it was all free ranging wild meat. All was good eats.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

secret:
soak in buttermilk for 24 hours

rinse and cook.
or add option B)
after soaking in buttermilk for 24 hours, soak in your fav marinate ( herbs and garlic ) or (Lemon and butter) are two of my favs.

then toss on the grill.

the secret to the buttermilk, it will pull the blood out of the meat, which is what causes the majority of the game taste. also the enzimes will help break it down and tenderize it for you. So it is a better piece of meat.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Blood Bath2006

Blood Bath2006

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

secret:
soak in buttermilk for 24 hours

rinse and cook.
or add option B)
after soaking in buttermilk for 24 hours, soak in your fav marinate ( herbs and garlic ) or (Lemon and butter) are two of my favs.

then toss on the grill.

the secret to the buttermilk, it will pull the blood out of the meat, which is what causes the majority of the game taste. also the enzimes will help break it down and tenderize it for you. So it is a better piece of meat.

I may have to tell him yes then after this post :D Thanks a ton fellas.
Posted Image
Sonic Pro Staff Shooter

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

I'm wondering because I was invited to hunt for them next year, but I don't hunt stuff I won't eat.

man that's to bad cause we were thinking of inviting you on a coyote / gopher hunt ;)

Even Rowdy won't eat gopher.

or wait was that a mini bear hunt?

Edited by McBruce, 15 August 2008 - 05:10 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Back in 85 I traveled west and this eastern boy was intriged with the pronghorns. I tried my best to get a picture but everytime I would get close they would take off. My little daughter suggested I take a picture of one of the many dead ones hanging on the fence by the road. I declined her suggestion but as we drove east and left Colorado there were no more antelope and I expressed my dismay. To that she replied that I should have taken a picture of one on the fence. Well this fall I plan on hunting the antelope and if I get one I will use this suggestion and serve it to her and her children now about that same age as she was then.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

man that's to bad cause we were thinking of inviting you on a coyote / gopher hunt ;)

Okay Bruce mini bears are fantastic fare, garlic rub and some lemon and don't over cook it. Yummy in my tummy :D

I never saw a gopher just mini bears - Bruce show'em your hunt - it's on video! Cool spot and stalk with a bow! Bruce sure can shoot.

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

I dont think I have the mini bear video on line any place :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

I dont think I have the mini bear video on line any place :)

Youtube it! It's better than memories in the field stuff.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 18 August 2008 - 10:26 AM.

#12 Blood Bath2006

Blood Bath2006

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

Devarminting is different :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Posted Image
Sonic Pro Staff Shooter

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

Posted Image

here is a still :)
I will have to see if I can find it and up load...I have a spoof on hunting shows I did,
Mini Bear spot and stalk. its about a 5 min video.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users