8 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:45 AM

I have a new Benelli slug gun for deer season and I'm thinking I should bore sight it in first before burning up a bunch of lead down range. I put a Bushnell Banner scope on it 1 3/4-4 X 6 ? power on it.

Is there one bore sighting tool better than another?

At what range does one start at? Say start at 25 yards to put it on paper and then start moving it back to say 50 yards then farther back? My archery background helps me some on doing some of this by starting in close and moving back.

What's the best sabot for a rifled barrel 12 ga. shotgun for consistant groups?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:34 AM

I'm not sure if one boresigher is better than another, but I think I would go with something similar to the Cabelas Professional Laser Chamber Boresighter and Sleeves.

25 yards is a good range to start at, just to get on paper. If you are going to be shooting slugs with verlocities around 1,400-1,500 FPS you can sight them in at about 2.5 inches high at 50 yards and they should be dead on at 100 yards. It depends on how far you expect to shoot. You may be able to sight in an inch high with some slugs at 50 to be dead on at 100. That's how flat shooting some slugs are. The highest velocity slugs are capable of ranges out to 200 yards now.

As for slugs, you are better off shooting as many different brands, styles of slug, and velocities to find out what works best. It is the same as with rifles; no two rifle will shoot the same ammo the same way.

If you have any other questions, just ask. I have a great book about slug shooting and hunting that has just about everything anyone would ever want to know.
-Eric

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

I'm not sure if one boresigher is better than another, but I think I would go with something similar to the Cabelas Professional Laser Chamber Boresighter and Sleeves.

25 yards is a good range to start at, just to get on paper. If you are going to be shooting slugs with verlocities around 1,400-1,500 FPS you can sight them in at about 2.5 inches high at 50 yards and they should be dead on at 100 yards. It depends on how far you expect to shoot. You may be able to sight in an inch high with some slugs at 50 to be dead on at 100. That's how flat shooting some slugs are. The highest velocity slugs are capable of ranges out to 200 yards now.

As for slugs, you are better off shooting as many different brands, styles of slug, and velocities to find out what works best. It is the same as with rifles; no two rifle will shoot the same ammo the same way.

If you have any other questions, just ask. I have a great book about slug shooting and hunting that has just about everything anyone would ever want to know.

Thanks Run!
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

If it's a 3 1/2" Benelli sometimes the 3" slugs will group better than the 3 1/2"s.

Lightfields have a strong following here.
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:40 PM

If it's a 3 1/2" Benelli sometimes the 3" slugs will group better than the 3 1/2"s.

Lightfields have a strong following here.

Thanks Leo, I was leaning toward these 2 3/4" sabots slugs and are 300 grains:Hornady SST Sabot Slugs
Over the years, hunting with shotgun slugs meant being satisfied with "good enough" accuracy. Such drawbacks are now in the past. Now, your favorite 12- or 20-ga. shotgun will have accuracy to rival many centerfire rifles. The SST™ bullet features the aerodynamic FlexTip® found on LEVERevolution® ammo, allowing these slugs to deliver sub-2" 100-yard groups. They're also the flattest-shooting slugs on the market today. At impact, the tip initiates violent expansion and energy transfer to the target, ensuring a swift kill. 5 rounds per box.

Mind you I haven't shot them yet. And I agree the Lightfields hold my interest too. I am more interested in running a bore sighting on it first to get the sight close so what ever sabot I shot and stay with I will be on target. Then I can fine tune my shooting to be in some tight grouping at 50 and 70 yards. I ran into a problem 3 years ago where I got my Benelli Nova shot gun sighted with the field sights with one ammo then changed to another manufacturer while hunting (novice mistake) and was no where close to kill the doe a fired at twice. My shots went way over it's back and head because I used a faster sabot. I am trying to learn from that problem and get myself totally ready ahead of this season cause it's right around the corner now.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

Rowdy the easiest way to bore sight a gun is look down the bore. I don't believe you have that option. You might try a mirror - one you can stick in the action just to see if you can look down the bore. Otherwise you will have to get a bore sighter or just try a shot at 25 yds at a small target on a big piece of cardboard, plywood or paper. Once you get it on at 25 yds then you should at least hit the paper at 50. This is what I do with my muzzleloaders when I can't see down the barrel. I have used a bore sighter that used a bore size spud to bore sight scopes at a sports shop I used to work at and it worked well. It is quite an expense to buy one just for one gun. You may want to call around to friends and borrow one or check at a gunsmith to see if they can do it for you.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Rowdy the easiest way to bore sight a gun is look down the bore. I don't believe you have that option. You might try a mirror - one you can stick in the action just to see if you can look down the bore. Otherwise you will have to get a bore sighter or just try a shot at 25 yds at a small target on a big piece of cardboard, plywood or paper. Once you get it on at 25 yds then you should at least hit the paper at 50. This is what I do with my muzzleloaders when I can't see down the barrel. I have used a bore sighter that used a bore size spud to bore sight scopes at a sports shop I used to work at and it worked well. It is quite an expense to buy one just for one gun. You may want to call around to friends and borrow one or check at a gunsmith to see if they can do it for you.

PA RR Thanks, I'm thinking the same thing about calling the gun shops to get it done. Now for my muzzle loader that might come in handy for iron sighting it in. But that's the next rifle I am dealing with to dial in on target.

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

Followup to my inquiry.

After some research and several conversations I found a boresighter made by Leupold called the Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter. Zero Point Boresighter by Leupold. It can be used on any rifle or handgun and it does work. It got my first shot on paper just lower of center by 6" at 25 yards. And with in 5 shots I was grouping inside the 2" rectangle at 100 yards. This was using a Banner model Bushnell scope with 1.75 to 4" mag and 6" eye relief on my Benelli M2 slug gun with the Hornady SST Sabot Slugs . I know I'm not that good at rifle shooting but it does help with your confidence to know you can hit what you're aiming at when the gun is sighted in.

I put the Leupold Zero point Boresighter back on to see what adjustments I made to the scope to get it centered and I was amazed how close or little the adjustment appeared to be from where I started.

#9 T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

Mark. .44 Magnum. Thats my slug gun. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users