• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Anyone here use one? Are they as effective as claimed. Do they work if there is a little breeze. Have you had game appear to detect you when using one.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Paul,

I wouldn't go into the spring or early fall woods without mine. (I can't believe I forgot to take it to camp for the get together. The black flies ate us alive even with 100% DEET on!!! And, yes, the ThermaCELL is effective against black flies, no-see-ums and sand flies as well as mosquitoes. Click Here for Article)

Light breezes don't seem to be a problem. They can put off a very mild odor, but I've never had it spook game (that I know of). It's far less of an odor than what even the "cover scent" smelling bug sprays put off.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

So far only used it in the backyard for a bbq because of the gnats and it worked great! Cant wait to use it in the woods & at the lake.

#4 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

Works for me, and no it doesn't spook game!

turbo

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

Jason has been talking about getting one but here the real problem is ticks and chiggers. So far the only thing we've found that works is a product called NO STINKIN BUGS which also has a dirt cover scent in it. It's about $7 a can and well worth it.

#6 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

Dont' come to south Georgia without one!!!! Especially with all the water we have now!!!

Turn it on before you get to the stand & you have no problem.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I plan on stopping at Cabelas on my way to Kansas and get one. Spirithawk I tried the product called permanon which you spray your hunting outfit and it actually kills ticks and chiggers. I tried it this spring while berry picking and it lasted for over a week. The fist time out I had not sprayed my brush pants and shirt and got two ticks. The rest of my picking season I had none. I believe you can even wash your clothing once and it is still effective. Like your product the cost is about 6 or 7 dollars and I used most of the can on my outfit. Can't wait to try it in Kansas. Man they have ticks and chiggers as bad as I have ever seen.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

I have a peronal and a Table Lamp and wouldnt give them up for anything!! I use the personal one hunting, On the 3D course strapped to my belt at baseball games anywhere and I keep it in my truck so I have it anywhere I go.. Got 1 for my dad and Best friend and now they don't go anywhere with out it.

I give it a Big 2 Thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#9 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

I can now say that my thermal cell has spooked game....

I was hunting from the ground with my youngest son Dakota. Had a small deer come running in and stopped at 16 yards wind swirling but predominatly towards the deer. No reaction from the deer it just walked off in the direction it came from in a calm manor. ( Dakota couldn't get a clean, ethical shot.) :hunter:

Thought you said it spooked game, you're thinking right???

Well about 20 mins later had another deer come walking in from the opposite direction that the little one left, Heard it comming then it Blew several times. Never getting to lay my eyes on it , the thermals were still swirling but I noticed that the pad was starting to turn blackish.

then I noticed it the smell... It smelt like the pad was burning.

SO I am guessing while the pad is blue you are good to go but, once the pad has turned whitish in color it starts to burn and gives off a smell that deer don't seem to like.

Has anyone else had a simular experience???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users