Photo

What poundage do you pull on your bow

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Please select poundage range (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Please select poundage range

1. 40 (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

2. 45 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 50 (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. 55 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 60 (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. 65 (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

7. 70 (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

8. 75 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 80 (2 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

10. 85 (0 votes [0.00%])

11. 90 (0 votes [0.00%])

12. 95 (0 votes [0.00%])

13. 100 + (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

My setup is set at 70 lbs. I can handle this weight because I shoot over 50 arrows a day. I tune my bow to my arrows as well, I like the fact of knowing that I have arrows flying perfect down range and the the target, and that is with broadheads. If you can't sit in a chair and drow a bow without motiong then you are pulling to much weight. Remember the bow should fit you like your old pair of jeans that you hate to throw away.

MD

#17 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:55 AM

Started with a 80 # and as age has started to set in. I have moved to a 70# turned down to about 65#. I use gold tip 75/95 or vapor 5000 cut at 30 in. Then top them with 100 gr itps and I am ready to hunt.

#18 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

With My compition Bow I shoot about 50-54 lbs. depending on how I feel and the arrows I am shooting.

For 3D I shoot at about 68 lbs if the bow will do it if not maxed out minus 1/4 turn.

Hunting set up I practice @ about 70 lbs all summer then inthe fall I turn it down to 64ish or so. That way there when the moment of truth comes along I can easily pull the poundage with little effort and hopefully not spook the game.

But for turkeys I turn it down to under 60 so as to try and keep the arrow inthe bird when I finally do hit him. :lol: :lol:

M.O. - the best way to start off is to shoot a poundage that you can EASILY pull with little to NO effort. Worry about form as that becomes second nature then increase the poundage.

#19 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:29 PM

79 pounds with one bow ( the one I mainly hunt with), 78 with the other. I shoot year round with these two bows. I dump at least 300 arrows per week. I pull both like most men pull 60 pound bows (even sitting down). My speed and accuracy are right where I want them to be. I like shooting fast and flat, especially while hunting here in Colorado. 40 yards and under is clock work. I'll take shots out to 60 yards if the conditions are right (doesn't speak highly for my sneaking up skills).

I actually talked with pse about purchasing a #100 peak weight bow (BIG 5). I'm telling you, that last water buffalo in Texas got into my head. I want to blow right through one of those monsters if it's possible! Broadside dummy...broadside dummy...broadside dummy is actually what I should have been telling myself. The bow I was using did the job when the bull was totally broadside (my brain was dull). Angled shots do not work on these critters.

When I shoot 3ds, I get razed all the time by the guys shooting 60 or less pounds. For some reason they think I'd do better if I shot a lower poundage bow. Funny things, there are only two boys that occassionally beat me in our league...and that's out of 50 shooters. I shoot dimes when pulling 60 lbs and I shoot dimes pulling 79 lbs. There's nothing wrong with sticking three pins on a deer's sweet spot at 20 yards..how can you miss?

While inside (targets), I like shooting the same bow I hunt with...at the same poundage. Why not? Practice makes perfect! ;)
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#20 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

Huck you want KE? Then Bowtech's Binary Fast cam is the clear winner. PSE's Big five is actually #4. Still one of the top contenders but there are other options.

Check out this list.

Bows sorted By KE
Posted Image

#21 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:56 AM

I am pulling about 63# on my bow right now, because of the number of times i shoot in an archery tournament like i shoot in, but in August, i'll crank it back up to 70, and start sighting in with broadheads, in preparation for E3... i can pull 70# pretty easy, just not 30 or 40 times in a couple of hours... for that one shot out in the woods, it's the perfect weight for me... :D
Semper Fi

#22 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:45 AM

I couldn't vote!!!!!! The only bow I have pulled back is a 28# recurve. If I ever get my boat running I am going hunting carp with that puppy. When I hunted deer with a compound I only shot a 53# draw weight. The bow was a 55 to 70 draw weight and 53 pounds was as light as I could set it without it rattling like an antler bag. Hit em right and there is only one degree of dead.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#23 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:11 AM

I was pulling 55 lbs - I thought pretty good for my size. Had to back it way down since shoulder surgery a couple months ago but am sllloooowwwwlllllyyyy working my way back up. I hope to get to atleast 50.

#24 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

I was pulling 55 lbs - I thought pretty good for my size. Had to back it way down since shoulder surgery a couple months ago but am sllloooowwwwlllllyyyy working my way back up. I hope to get to atleast 50.

Both of my shoulders were knocked out in my accident 3yrs ago Vicki. For quite awhile I couldn't even put on or take off a T-shirt. It looked as though using a bow may be something I would never do again.

Work at it slowly. As soon as it starts to hurt just a little, quit, you're done for the day.

I eventually worked back up to 70lbs. But I still can't fling more than a couple dozen shots a day. This is regardless of poundage (wouldn't matter if the bow was 35lbs). The stamina is another issue entirely.

Therabands really help. You should be able to get some from a local physical therapist.

You can do it GIRL!!!
Posted Image

#25 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:32 AM

Rowdy, thanks - got one at home and one at work!!!! If I had one in my car - oopps better not do that I may have a bigger problem. They work pretty good because you can adjust the difficulty.

#26 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:56 AM

VCROSS that's great. No time at all you'll be ready for pulling your bow string once again come hunting season. It helps to rotate it from one arm pulling to the other arm pulling too. I like to try holding on a target spot for as long as I can with it.

Now your husband will want one too - when's his birthday???

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 26 June 2006 - 06:57 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#27 alkumaus

alkumaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

When it is early season in Michigan, I pull 55lbs. When it gets cold, I may drop to 50lbs. I have had shoulder injuries, but see no need in pulling big poundages just to blow through a deer. And at 55lbs, I blow throuh most deers shoulders anyway. Shot placement, and being able to tell yourself to let it pass if it is a questionable shot, are big keys in bow hunting. Besides, we all like to be in the woods anyway, peaceful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users