9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

Any of you all ever try the original Deer Cane? If so what kind of results did you get? I bought some jugs of the liquid and intend to give it a try.

#2 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

I've used Deer Cane liquid with the Deer Cane white block with outstanding results. My mineral site is maybe 8 yards from a "water hole" (only when it rains) and there was a pretty small trail leading to the waterhole when I made this mineral site in late 2004. Now, there is a major trail leading to the mineral site and to the water hole. The spot where I put the Deer Cane is now a good 30" circle that is 6" to 8" deep in some spots.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Chrud. I just put mine out this morning. Put it on a ridge that we know a large buck frequents. There's a wet weather creek at the bottom of the ridge. I put my new trail cam aimed at the spot where I put the Deer Cane so now I'm just gonna sit back and wait for season to start and hope I get some pics of the buck I'm after in the mean time.

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

Only problem I noticed is that once the bow season starts it seems like the deer quit using the mineral site until the middle part of December.

I usually put out more Deer Cane every two months.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

Well I got it put out and my trail cam set up. Put it out yesterday and there's been a doe at it already. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I'm really hoping to get a picture of the big buck that frequents that area. We've only got a peek of him but enough to know he's big bodied and heavy horned. Definately the dominant buck of the area. Will post the pics if he shows up in them. Going to leave things alone and stay away from things for a few days before I check it again. Love the digital camera cause I can check the pics in the field. :D

#6 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

Have you added any mineral block to the site yet? As I stated above, I've had good luck with the small Deer Cane block also. It is usually gone within 4 to 6 weeks. The rain helps put some of the mineral from the block into the soil and the deer paw at it also.

Trophy Rock is another good mineral "block" choice. My brother has been using it for the last couple years. The first year didn't see much activity. But, he began pouring 1/2 of the bottle of Deer Cane on the ground and then the other 1/2 on to the Trophy Rock and the deer got nuts over it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, only because I haven't been able to find one in our area the last time I was getting my mineral supplies. Since it is a pretty good size "rock", I will definately have one by December when I refresh the mineral site for the final time before too much snow falls.

I should be able to take a picture of my Deer Cane mineral site later this week or this weekend. I'll be interested to see how it works for you. I never had luck with any kind of mineral, including Deer Cane, until I tried it out near the water hole.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

I haven't yet but fugure on putting a Deer Cane block on it. I'll keep you updated as to it's progress. Later on I'm going to put my Scrape dripper and a fake scrape somewhere close by it.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Here is another PAism for you. We can put out anything we want outside the season(s) but you had better have it removed a month or more before any of the deer seasons. An archer could get in his stand and not know someone put something out nearby and be subject to arrest for hunting over bait. But we can hunt next to a grain field or a food plot and be legal. Just do not put any minerals or harvested grain of any kind there or run the chance of being arrested.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

Here is another PAism for you. We can put out anything we want outside the season(s) but you had better have it removed a month or more before any of the deer seasons. An archer could get in his stand and not know someone put something out nearby and be subject to arrest for hunting over bait. But we can hunt next to a grain field or a food plot and be legal. Just do not put any minerals or harvested grain of any kind there or run the chance of being arrested.

Paul, it's much the same here however it's legal to put out minerals which is all Deer Cane amounts to. You can put out anything that is not food nor has a food aditive. You can feed deer and turkey but any food must be removed at least 10 days before an area can be hunted. If an area is baited, even if you don't know it, you are in violation if you hunt there. Food plots are legal as long as the harvest is not purposly knocked to the ground. If so, it's then considered baiting. It pays to keep up to date and know what the regs are for sure.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Went and checked on my trail cam today. (Rain finally let up enough that I could) Deer are hitting the Deer Cane already. Had some pics of does at it, no buck yet. Both day and night pics. At least I know both the cane and my new trail cam work. :D I put an acorn flavored mineral block on top of the cane. I figure if does hit it good then sooner or later the bucks will show up. That's what I'm hoping anyways. It's a good thing I checked it though. The storm had blown a cluster of wet leaves and it was stuck over the camera lens. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users