5 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:53 AM

IQALUIT, Nunavut (AP) - Northern hunters, scientists and people with vivid imaginations have discussed the possibility for years.

But Roger Kuptana, an Inuvialuit guide from Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories, was the first to suspect it had actually happened when he proposed that a strange-looking bear shot last month by an American sports hunter might be half polar bear, half grizzly.

Territorial officials seized the creature after noticing its white fur was scattered with brown patches and that it had the long claws and humped back of a grizzly. Now a DNA test has confirmed that it is indeed a hybrid _ possibly the first documented in the wild.

"We've known it's possible, but actually most of us never thought it would happen," said Ian Stirling, a polar bear biologist with the Canadian Wildlife Service in Edmonton.

Polar bears and grizzlies have been successfully paired in zoos before _ Stirling could not speculate why _ and their offspring are fertile.

Breeding seasons for the two species overlap, though polar bear gets started slightly earlier.

I read this might be happening about three years ago because the polar bears are wondering further into land because of the earlier meltdown in spring. The theory goes that the overlapping territories kepted getting larger creating more contacted breeding female polar bears. And that would be the reason for the hybrid bears being sighted then.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 11 May 2006 - 03:26 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

Interesting, I spose it had to happen sooner or later.

I read a report a couple years back that scientists believe that the Alaska's ABC brown bears are more similiar to the Polar bear then the inland grizzlies or the brown bears that inhabit the other regions of Alaska and Canada.

Hmmm, :huh:

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

I just saw that on tv tonight. just goes to show you how a new sub species is started..
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:54 PM

It's a hybrid accident.

As soon as we start calling it a new breed. Some group of morons will try and get it on the endangered species list.
Posted Image

#5 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

Here is a few stories on the subject and a lot of reading. In a way this is old news.

brown spoted polar bear

Ursus International Conservation Instatute

Melting of Polar Ice Cap

Time Magazine

2004 Grizzlies
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

RobertR great articles -thanks for sharing them. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users