4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

I'd say you'd have to be a hunter to understand what I'm about to say and I know it will touch home with all of you. Right now Jason and I are getting ready for bow season and really, for rifle and muzzleloader season too. We're putting out minerals and trail cams, checking our ladder stands, which we leave up year round, scouting for sign and getting a feel for being back in the woods. Getting our eyes and ears back into hunting mode. Checking all our gear. We're spending a lot of time looking through catalogs and frequent trips to look at all the goodies the stores are now stocking such as calls, scents, camo, deer lures and ect., ect., ect. We can spend hours checking things out, discussing the pros and cons of a product. Will this work? Is it worth trying? Is it worth the price? Is this one better than that one? :lol: We're spending a lot of time going over tactics, where we plan to hunt, talking about the deer we've been seeing, talking about weather conditions, food sources and such. Planning on hunting with family and friends. Planning a muzzleloader hunt on my brother-in-laws property. Maybe a bow hunt there too. Planning hunts with a couple of my grandsons, Jason's boys. Talking about how good our traditional meal of butterfly steaks simmered with mushrooms and brown gravy from the backstraps of the first deer taken will tatse. Especially because it's shared with family and friends. We're going over past hunts, both successful and not. Deer we've got and those we've missed. Of course every now and then there's the, "Hey, you remember when....?" To us it all adds to the fun of the sport. It's what hunting is about. It wouldn't be hunting season any other way. Those who don't hunt think you just go out and shoot something. All there is to it. They'll never understand how much more there is to it than that. It's about fresh air and the beauty of God's creations. It's about memories made and those yet to make. My all time favorite memory is of sitting in a buddy tree stand with Jason, an hour before daylight, and watching a meteor shower while waiting for the sun to come up. Then too there's the spring morning when Jason called in two mature Toms and we scored a double, mine being my first gobbler ever and the big hug we shared celebrating the moment. Of course there's trailing behind a pack of Black and Tans listening to them bay on the trail of a coon, Jason just 8 years old, eyes big as saucers and a smile too big to measure. No, you have to be a hunter to understand and I'm so very glad I have you all as friends to share the blessings as only a fellow hunter can. I've been a member here since the old BSOTH days and you've always been here for me through thick and thin. I'd like to take this time to thank each and every one of you, from one hunter to another. May your hunting season be a great one and may it leave you with lasting memories to always treasure. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 September 2008 - 09:20 PM.

#2 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

Well said my Friend well said. Wiser words I have not heard in a long time and so true!! :boone: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Well said my friend, well said.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Here, Here!! My wife shakes her head at me sometimes because this is the time that Im the most meticulous with my gear or anything else for that matter.

Also, my brother in law made something that really good. I cant wait for my next deer so I can make it. Take a butterflied backstrap and put it in a crock pot with chunky ragu for a few hours. It's so tender and tastes great.

#5 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hunting is like a Master Card commercial - pricele$$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users