#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

Striker bows

Now let me say right off I don't own a traditional style bow or equipment -- yet. My reason for reporting this was based on a bow for my wife. I have asked her to join me in my love of archery. She felt strongly about not trying a compound but remembered her time in college shooting long bows and would enjoy shooting one again. I kept that in mind when ever I saw one described and started reading up on them. I hunted with some traditional style bowhunters in Colorado and they seemed very adamant about their passion of shooting with out wheels, training wheels as they put it.

Last March I invited my wife to attended the deer and turkey show with me where we met Rick Ellis a bowyer here in western Ohio. He spent considerable time going over things with my wife at the show with his line of bows. She felt at ease with him and with his Long bows and ordered one. He explained he would custom make it and probably in late summer we could drive over to his shop to get the grip custom fit and made for her. We made that drive yesterday to his business in western Ohio. He gave her a great lesson on how on form to shoot traditional bows. Within several minutes he had her hitting a dot the size of quarter at 10 yard away.

While my wife spent time shooting in some arrows I spent time with Mr. Ellis looking over his line up of bows. Please check out his web site for his line up of equipment plus reviews of his bows. As he put it the stand up to any traditional style bow and they cost less. He makes it all right in his shop and has a wide inventory of different types of wood to choose from to make a riser or limbs. I finally caved in and shot my first real traditional style equipment and with his instruction I was hitting the dot too. Traditional shooting is a blast but amazingly it's the same as compound shooting when you consider it's all about form. That's where the similarity starts to fade.

He also has hunted a bit with them and has some pictures of some Russian boars killed from Wilderness Lodge in Tenn. I had some stories to tell him about Wilderness Lodge and invited him to join us in October.

My wifes bow will be done in a week and hope to post some pictures then of his shop. But he's the real thing and if you're looking for a recurve or long bow he's got some sweet bows, accurate and beautifully tunes bows with custom grips. :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users