• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

i am thinking of buying a large hand crank meat grinder size 32 and do my own burger this year from my critters.have any of you used the hand turn models? what is the ratio of beef fat to add per lb of venison and does the fat grind properly in the hand grinders? I want to try to do sausage as well.

thanks,
bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

Bill I have not yet bought a grinder but do get my burger meat done at a nearby meat store and as long as I take 20-40lbs to be ground and am charged less than $10 I am not too interested in going to a home grinder. I prefer about 15% beef suet added to my burger and they add an amount to my very lean meat by cutting the suet in small pieces and mixing it with my cut up meat before grinding. They then grind it and mix again and regrind and things get pretty well mixed together. I believe that the #32 will do a good job for you. If you want to motorize it you can do that too with a speed reducer, a couple of belts and pulleys.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

Trust me on this, you'll like an electric grinder much better. We do a lot of processing our deer and an electric grinder is a whole lot less work. I know a lot of people add fat to there ground venison but we don't. Mainly because we use it solely in chili and spaghetti sauce. Also, with my heart problems, adding fat reduces the health benifits of eating venison.

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

My grandmother in law gave me a hand grinder a few months back but I havent gotten to use it yet.

#5 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:27 PM

thanks guys,

i am trying to be conservative and save where i can, but part of my motivation is,last year i had deer that i did not get back for a solid month from the butcher,well normally i would think if the temp is controlled....well ok....but i went in to pick them up, they were deer hanging in the cooler that were dry and black as coal,he had hams on the table and had to cut into them a solid two inches to find pink meat...bad part is you are billed for the hangin weight the day your deer arrives,but no telling how much is lost in the final product with this practice. i am most likely going with the no. 32 grinder from northern tool w/pulley and a 1725 rpm motor attachment...should do the trick
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users