• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

hello friends,

i am considering possibly trying to harvest a cow elk or a smaller size buffalo this fall on our wilderness trip.i have never consumed either one and am curious of what your preference would be on meat quality and your likes or dislikes. we can consume about 4 deer a year at my house,so i figure a bigger animal could go pretty far in my family.

thank you,
Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:45 AM

Bill I have eaten elk and it is even better than venison. If you ever get to Larry and Melody's place arrive with an appetite. She can prepare an elk steak to die for. I have only ever eaten one buffalo burger and it was delicious.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

I have had both and as a meat hunter --- man let me say these two are tops in my book. Lean cuisine and not gamey tasting at all. If they have a discount cow Bison hunt I might drop the plastic on the table and go for it. I doubt they will do that for the elk but the steaks I had of a cow elk in Colorado where very very good.

Oh I almost forgot to add one more thing. If you don't have a second or third freezer for all this great meat then figure you'll have to go buy one. I got lucky and used my mother-in-laws for about year and half.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 12 September 2008 - 10:26 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

Tops on the list is elk. Buffalo loses by a nose. :D

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Gotta agree with the above - Elk is tops if properly cared for immediately after the kill all the way to the table. Although a wine marinated bison burger will melt in your mouth. :)- The bison will give you more meat and I will say that the younger (smaller) elk give the best meat (ie: tender) so I guess it would be a toss up between quality and quantity. In my opinion? You can't lose either way.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

Elk, venison, buffalo, bear, you name it, it is all GOOD!!!!!!!

turbo

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Most people tend to overcook the heck out of bison trying to get the right amount of "red" out. You can't. Don't try to compare degrees of doneness on Bison meat with beef. Even a well done bison burger pattie has red in it that makes it "appear" to be medium rare if you are used to looking at beef. Timing wise it takes the same amount of time to cook bison as beef. Don't let your eyes fool you. Trust what your experience in timing tells you. IMO, Bison is best served an honest medium rare. Strive to never cook it past medium doneness. Same goes for Elk. Overcooked on the grill both loose an awful lot of palette pleasing ability.

A young Bison bull (2yr old meat bull) or cow is better than an old elk cow. Likewise a young elk cow is better than an old bison bull.

If you are primarily after meat, age should be your distinction not species ;)

Edited by Leo, 30 September 2008 - 08:56 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

Leo hit the nail exactly on the head - DO NOT OVER COOK YOUR MEAT!!!!!!!! While timing can be everything, better yet, use a meat thermometer when cooking to assure proper doneness. You don't want to be poking a bunch of holes in the meat and letting all the juices out, so wait until you think you're about "there". Then insert a meat thermometer into the middle of the thickest part of the steak:

135 degrees is medium rare
160 is medium

Pull the meat off and let it "rest" for a few minutes before doing anything to it. The carryover cooking will finish your steak off nicely while the juices retreat back into the cells.

Tie on your favorite Scooby Doo bib and go to town!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

Elk...Yum. Buffalo...Yum. 3:)
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:55 PM

shoot what ya want and send me the meat, you won' like it...it all taste like chicken :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @ Bruce. Can you talk an eskimo out of his muck-a-lucks to Bruce.

Steve

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

no but I have been known to sell them freezers for their meat storage :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users