16 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

Okay folks, this will really tell your ages. :lol: Who, like me, grew up watching the old western series every saturday morning on tv? I can remember watching them on an old black and white tv with about a 10" round screen. Who remembers Bronco, Cheyenne, The Cisco Kid, Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Rin Tin Tin, The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickock, The Lone Ranger, Maveric, Annie Oakley, and a bit later, The Rifleman, Have Gun Will Travel and Gunsmoke with Chester? The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok was the first series of a real life western legend to hit television, with 113 episodes being produced from 1951 to 1958. Guy Madison starred as US Marshal James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok and Andy Devine was Hickok's deputy, Jingles. Remember how Jingles always seemed to be running or riding after Hickok and yelling "Hey, Bill, wait for me!" Many came after him but to me he was the greatest side kick of all time. Anyone remember any I missed. I know there's a few I can't recall the names of. I'm not talking about later shows like Big Valley, The Virginian and such. I mean the ones that got it all started and entertained kids, and adults too, back when life was much simpler.

Edited by Spirithawk, 12 September 2008 - 09:45 AM.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

:zipped: ;) :rolleyes:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

:zipped: ;) :rolleyes:

I know. I know. I forgot to mention Rawhide :rolleyes: and now that I think of it Wagon Train too. :D

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Bounty Hunter with Steve McQueen.
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

Bounty Hunter with Steve McQueen.

Yep another good one for sure. Was it called Wanted: Dead or Alive or were they two different ones he did. Or were both used in the title? I remember the show but seemed like he did two western series as a bounty hunter. Anyone remember one I think was called The Rebel which starred Nick Adams?

Edited by Spirithawk, 12 September 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Sadly I remember it all. It was what I did after 3:18pm every day when school left out and I walked 5 blocks home. We had a 22" floor model b/w tv then( in blonde cabinetry, remember blonde furniture?).

Youtube has a lot of that stuff you can re-watch. Some are just partial episodes. And did you mention Sky King, Stoney Burke, or Bearcats( only 13 episodes)? Paladin is now on a Christian tv network out of W.64th Ave in Arvada CO on Tue or Wed afternoons about 1 or 2 pm but I forget the name of the network. I forget everything these d ays.

Heres how I think about all that stuff...and my life in general :

Edited by silvertip-co, 12 September 2008 - 02:57 PM.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

Yep, I remember Sky King, Sargent Preston too. :D

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

I younger than alot of you remember watching Gunsmoke,The Cisco Kid, and The Lone Ranger in the mid-70's as a kid but to me those were the shows that kept my attention the most.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

I younger than alot of you remember watching Gunsmoke,The Cisco Kid, and The Lone Ranger in the mid-70's as a kid but to me those were the shows that kept my attention the most.

Thank goodness for reruns! :lol:

#10 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

I remember most all of them. One thing funny that happed, my dad would get upset when we watched Sky King because the plane was a Beechcraft and he worked for Piper.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

Some of those very early westerns made the transition from radio to tv. I used to listen to them on radio in the early 50s. We didn't get a tv till I was in Sr High school. When we had to watch something on tv for school which happened once in a while we would go to my grandparents house. They had a B&W with a piece of plastic on the tube that was blue on top and green in the middle (I think) and brownish at the bottom. Looked like color tv in the outdoors but sort of dumb for inside shots.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Ah I remember most of those, some shows we did not receive but I sure remember watching Wild Bill Hickok, he was my favourite. We lived NW of Edmonton and did not have tv until 1953 or 54 and we had to put up a 30' antenna to receive it (we were one of first families to have tv in our town). The TV station was only on air for a few hours a day and couldn't wait to get home from school to watch Wild Bill, Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers. I met Guy Madison in 1978 at Universal Studios, when we took the kids to Disney World, he was the only celebrity that we met, it was so cool, my first tv hero as a kid!
Paul I remember those silly plastic sheets!
Thanks for all the memories guys this thread brought back! :)
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#13 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:57 AM

Oh Oh I just thought of one do you remamber "Johnny Yuma"?

#14 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

I still like watching Gunsmoke and The Rifleman on TVLand. Those old westerns like Rawhide and others are classics and they just don't make em like that too often anymore.

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

Oh Oh I just thought of one do you remamber "Johnny Yuma"?

Scan back up bud. Johnny Yuma was Nick Adams in the Rebel. I can still recall the theme song. :D I still like watching them too. I just watched Bat Masterson the other night. They bring back memories of a much simpler time and I can't help but smile even if one is just mentioned in conversation.

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 September 2008 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users