Dan Wesson

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

:D :D :D

Well, it's not the .44 I've always wanted, but for the price I wasn't passing it up.
(Being able to shoot both .357 and .38 is a nice bonus anyway.)

Just picked it up today! Obviously, the bluing is shot. But, I cleaned it up real good and oiled it and everything works well. The rifling still looks new and the cylinder is smooth. I figure a new grip (since the one on it already isn't the original Dan Wesson grip :( ) and a new finish and I'll be stylin'.

I'm also considering having a gunsmith drill/tap the rib for a scope mount while they are doing the bluing.(I'd put a HOLO-Sight on it.) But, I'm not sure.

Any input?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 davepross54

davepross54

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Posted Image

:D :D :D

Well, it's not the .44 I've always wanted, but for the price I wasn't passing it up.
(Being able to shoot both .357 and .38 is a nice bonus anyway.)

Just picked it up today! Obviously, the bluing is shot. But, I cleaned it up real good and oiled it and everything works well. The rifling still looks new and the cylinder is smooth. I figure a new grip (since the one on it already isn't the original Dan Wesson grip :( ) and a new finish and I'll be stylin'.

I'm also considering having a gunsmith drill/tap the rib for a scope mount while they are doing the bluing.(I'd put a HOLO-Sight on it.) But, I'm not sure.

Any input?

well it's not the 44 that i wanted but I'll gladly borrow it from you

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

With that length of barrel it should be a real shooter. I have a Smith K38 that looks much like yours and it is very accurate. All that you describe that is wrong is meerly cosmetic should do you very well. But you are right it isn't a 44.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

But you are right it isn't a 44.

:(

I think I'll survive though. :D

Well, so far I've found out that I can still get grips and barrels from CZ (they apparently bought out DW in '05). They also sell the special wrench I need to exchange/remove the barrel. ($43 plus shipping for the thing! :doh2: )

Goodness... Well, I think I want to have it electroless nickel plated. Of course, price will be the main factor in whether I go with that or standard bluing. :(

sig_admin.png

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

well it's not the 44 that i wanted but I'll gladly borrow it from you

Sell it to you... $500. :P

sig_admin.png

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

Looks real purdy there, JR. I really enjoy my .357 revolver. They're a ton of fun. You know if you have the permit you can take a Deer with that thing. The one I own is very accurate out to 75 yards.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

You know if you have the permit you can take a Deer with that thing.

That is the plan. :D

The .44 would have given me black bear bravery. (Not trying with a .357. :no: )
But, white-tail was the main target anyway.

sig_admin.png

#8 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

Nice gun Jer, tell us how she shoots!
-Eric

#9 davepross54

davepross54

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:49 AM

Sell it to you... $500. :P

hmmmm

#10 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hello Pro Turkey Caller" You will always be Pro to me." one thing you might consider if you are going to carry it with a lot in the field or otherwise is a teflon coating it will hold up with just a little care and won't rust if you forget to clean it right away when you come in from the rainy hunt. Just a thought and something to consider with all of your other options. Oh by the way if it is like the teflon coatings that I have seen they are black and not blue. I had a 16ga Stevens SXS done in about 1989 and it still looks pretty good but you can tell that is has not spent its life in a cabinet. Good luck with your desision. It is still a nice looking gun with some quality.
MR300WM
MR300WM

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the input, Joe/MR! (Oh, and those were the days, huh? LOL)

I've been reading up on various coatings... Still haven't made up my mind. (I was even looking into doing it myself, but just for the tool to disassemble the gun I'm already out $50. So, I'm not sure I could really save a ton of cash.) The nickel plating intrigues me because I've always liked the look of a silver finish on a revolver. (Plus, it's quite durable.) But, for pure hunting applications a darker finish is obviously a better choice.

Decisions.
Decisions.

:shifty:

sig_admin.png

#12 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

I kinda like the grips that you have on it Jer. If I was gonna reblue, I would get some 0000 steel wool and get er done myself. I have redone a "few", and they turned out great. Dunno what a shop would charge, but I'll bet that your wrench, steel wool, and nitric acid will be a lot cheaper. Then, you can sit on your porch with a coffee, and shine to your hearts content, breaking up the boredom of another :unsure: "what can I do to amuse myself today" dilema. :D

#13 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

Well, dad and I went and shot 'er this afternoon and so far I like it a lot. (I didn't take my camera, so no pictures. Might have been funny too; we were shooting at a "Vote Obama" sticker. :lol: ) I started at about 10 yards and stepped back 5 yards or so at a time just to see what the bullet was doing. I ended up dialing in around 50 yards. She's close to a foot high at half that distance. So, as long I can remember to hold low at close range it should be okay.

I would have probably shot more than I did, but the rear sight needed to be moved a little more to the right than I'd like to see in order to sight in. I'm going to order one of the special Dan Wesson wrench/tools this week just to be able to disassemble the revolver and make sure everything is okay and get a more thorough cleaning going. From there, I have a couple HOLO-Sights. One is on a youth shotgun that no longer sees use. So, I think I'm going to also order a mounting rail (that clamps onto the barrel rib so I don't have to drill/tap) to mount the HOLO-Sight onto the .357.

If all goes well and the gun continues to shoot well for me then I'll refinish after this season once I've saved up some more pennies. :)

sig_admin.png

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

Well, I got the wrench and scope base ordered. The HOLO-Sight is all cleaned up with fresh batteries in it awaiting its new perch.

The Pachmayr grip is going to stay. The finish is also going to stay as is until next year.

I guess I'll need a new holster once the sight is on. :rolleyes:

For the first time in years I'm getting excited about... white-tail firearms season. :wacko: :P

sig_admin.png

#15 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

My brother had a DW .357 back in the early '80's. It was a NICE pistol. He kept it for a few years and then sold it (dipstick!).
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users