29 replies to this topic

#16 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

What a great deer Jason, and Norm you should be proud of him. I have never taken a buck in velvet. You are right about one thing Norm that deer does have a lot of character. Thanks for sharing the pictures now how about the story Jason!!!!!

turbo

#17 jlaws

jlaws

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

Thanks everyone. Deer travel through where we hunt, but few actualy stay there, so dad wanted to try to give them a reason to hang around. He put out Deer Cane in two differant spots and deer started showing up right away. that stuff realy works. he got the liquid in jugs. I hunted from a ladder stand we've had up in the same spot for several years. Saw a doe and a small six point about 9am and another doe a while later. both came to the deer cane. Dad and me decided we aren't going to shoot young bucks. We went home and got something to eat and went back out about 3pm. I didn't see anything at all and was about to get down just before dark and call it a day since i work nights. I heard a squirrel start barking and dad taught me to pay attention when they do. When I looked i saw a deer coming my way but couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe. then he stepped out where i could get a good look and I almost choked. it was hard not to get buck fever. He went straight to the deer cane and started licking the ground giving me an easy broadside shot at 40 yards. i nailed him right behing the shoulder and he took off like a rocket. he only ran about 50 yards and dropped. i called dad on the radio and told him I shot a nice buck but did't tell him how big. you should have seen his face. i was shaking so bad it was hard to climb down out of the stand. this is the biggest buck i ever shot. if i never shoot another i'll still be happy.

Edited by jlaws, 16 September 2008 - 06:26 PM.

#18 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:15 AM

Beautiful deer. Better story. Congrats on keeping your mojo until after the shot. . Looking forward to seeing the mount. :clap:
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#19 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:11 AM

I suggest we not post scores of entry bucks until contest end. Submit score to Jerimiah or myself. That will encourage folks to enter and discourage folks from "stretching" the tape.
Posted Image

#20 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

No, you misunderstood. He's definitely mountable. His rack is just plain impresive and has great charector. We just don't have the funds right now so I'm doing a European mount. ( I've got it down to a science :lol: ) Then, when we do have the cash, we can still have a full mount done by just supplying another cape. I recently read an article of a fellow who after 50 years did just that. We don't intend to wait that long though. :no: :lol:

Cool, sounds like a good plan. Again beautiful buck!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#21 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Nice in velvet buck -- it definitely would be wall art for sure, congrats jlaw!
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#22 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

What a buck is right Norm!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Jason.

Steve

#23 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Just wondering Norm, is Jason entered in the contest?

Steve

#24 jlaws

jlaws

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

Yes i am.

#25 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

dannnnngg... thats a big un :clap:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#26 Bowdoc Jim

Bowdoc Jim

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

:clap: :clap: Way to go Nice job and CONGRATS on keepig it all together for the shot. I know it isn't easy with something so BIG!!! I have a hard enough time keeping it together with a doe let alone a Monster like that.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#27 PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

That is a beautiful buck!!!! He definitely goes in to the 150's easily and maybe even in to the low 160's. A bruiser regardless!!!!!

Personally, I say the heck with scraping the velvet off. Mount that sucker with the velvet on just as he was shot. Who cares what B&C says? It's not going to break any records so why even bother entering it? Just sit back, score it as is and enjoy the heck out of that stud!!!!

#28 Bigrok

Bigrok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:I am currently living in Hawaii. My wife is an RN in the US Army. I can't wait to get back to MN.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:41 PM

I agree ^^^^ Leave the velvet on. It makes it look that much bigger. I dream of having a velvet buck on the wall some day.

#29 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

Minimum for P&Y(p&Y is bow registry-boone and crockett is gun registry) is 135". He is definitely in the books!! :clap: He will shrink some when he dries out-but he is still a hoss!! I love those racks with "trash" everywhere-gives alot of character!

#30 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Minimum for P&Y(p&Y is bow registry-boone and crockett is gun registry) is 135". He is definitely in the books!! :clap: He will shrink some when he dries out-but he is still a hoss!! I love those racks with "trash" everywhere-gives alot of character!

Tony, I just posted the pics of the finished mount. We intend to have a full mount done down the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users