5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

You know, some folks greatest hunting acomplishment is a trophy animal on their wall. Nothing wrong with that. It shows either your luck or skill and either way you sure have a right to be proud. To me, though, what I consider my greatest hunting acomplishment, and perhaps my greatest acomplishment period, is passing on my knowledge, skills and love of hunting and the outdoors to my son Jason. Everytime I see that spark in his eyes, or he teaches the teacher a new trick, or I see that smile on his face it sends a thrill through me. Seems these days he is always doing something to make me proud. He has a greater love and respect for the outdoors than anyone I know and knowing and respecting you all that's really saying something. When he scores big it makes me as happy as if it were me and he's the same way when I score. I thank God every day that we can share that bond. To me, passing on the love of our sport and seeing it take root and blossom is by far the greatest trophy of all and one that we can sure be proud of. :D

#2 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

Very well said Sir,that paragraph speaks volumes! In my heart, a "trophy" is not how it measures with a tape,its just what you described, and I pray I will be able to pass this belief on to my son.

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#3 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Well said Norm, and you are 100% right.

turbo

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

This one time I can truly say I know exactly how you feel. I have that kind of bond with my son. Of course I am at the age where he helps me more than I help him. We too rejoice in each others successes and more than a little fun at our mistakes too. Here is just a bit of advice for all of you. Get your children into the hunting sport as young as possible and once kindled keep the fire burning. If you don't have children grab a young person in the neighborhood or more distant family and open our sport to them. You might get lucky as Spirithawk and I have and have a hunting buddy.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

Im envious as my daughter is to young for me to share that moment with her but the way she's growin up...it wont be long.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Scott you are correct. It won't be long. It seems that each time you turn around that young one has grown and is exploring new avenues. If you wait till they are old enough to hunt there are way too many other activities and passtimes out there all trying to vie for our children's time. After raising three of my own and now with 6 grandchildren and I am sure spirithawk will agree it is up to the parent(s) to keep the right things forefront in young folks lives.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users