• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

I received my PSE Rattler crossbow well over a week ago. Here is what I saw when I opened the package.

Posted Image

I thought someone broke my bow in pieces to put it in the box. I then realized this was a some assembly required project. I set to work and this is what it looked like all assembled.

Posted Image

After I took the pic I realized I had not put the red dot sight on it so you have to imagine a red dot on the rail at the rear.

Posted Image

This a 165 lb draw weight and after one attempt to draw it by hand I knew that I needed a cocking device or I could not shoot it. I called the PSE tech rep and they as of now do not make a crank device for their crossbows. There are a number of crank devices for other bows and a local archery shop had several but none fit mine. I then tried a rope cocking device and it fit the bill. The rope cuts the effort in half so as of this morning I was in business. I didn't have time till just after supper this evening to get to shoot it. After three shots I am fairly well sighted in at 20 yds. My only difficulty so far is the nocks on 3 of the 4 arrows came loose. Guess whatever glue was used did not like to get hit with 165 lbs of force. After only 6 shots I am confident that I could kill a deer with this thing. The trigger is better than I expected so with a little practice at some different yardages I am ready to go. Well when I get some broadheads I will be.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 16 September 2008 - 08:20 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

That there's a fine shooting iron. I can't wait to see it in action.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

Something I did not mention is it shoots kinda fast I have yet to see an arrow in flight at 20 yds.

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

Congratulations on the new bow!! Good luck filling your tag this year.

#5 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Cuz thats one nice crossbow you got there. Can't wait to see the happy smile on your face after that big buck kill.

turbo

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:24 AM

Way to go PA. :clap: You might have to get Marty to go with you to load that thing for you. Either that, or start a :barbell: program, :D

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

RG maybe you are right I need Bonecollecter to go along to draw that thing. So far I have had two men, my son and a cousin, draw it by hand. Both could do it but were quite red faced when they finally got it back. I find the rope cocking device to be pretty easy to use and takes up very little space in a pack or pocket. It is so fast I have yet to see the arrow in flight.

#8 jlaws

jlaws

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

Sweet now go out and kill a big one. :D

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:05 AM

Jason that is the plan but I most likely would have to shoot two or three and add them together to equal that monster you got. But then again who knows.

#10 mdwhite611

mdwhite611

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Fishin', huntin',

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

Crossbows are WAY to loud for me...but different strokes for different folks i guess.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

MDwhite I agree with you. These crossbows are louder than a conventional bow. I do not have very much leeway in this as I due to bad shoulders can no longer shoot a hunting suitable draw weight compound. At least this contraption allows me to get out there and hunt again after not archery hunting for about 4 years. My arm and shoulder problems are not going away anytime soon as they are age and arthritis caused. As you can see a crossbow is about my only option. You see I am an old geezer with many more years behind me than are ahead. I have learned that carrying a crossbow in the hands is a bit of a chore as they are on the heavy side and you must keep your hands off and fingers below the rail because at the speed of that string a finger tip could be taken right off. At least I am able to once again get out there and hunt.

#12 mdwhite611

mdwhite611

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

MDwhite I agree with you. These crossbows are louder than a conventional bow. I do not have very much leeway in this as I due to bad shoulders can no longer shoot a hunting suitable draw weight compound. At least this contraption allows me to get out there and hunt again after not archery hunting for about 4 years. My arm and shoulder problems are not going away anytime soon as they are age and arthritis caused. As you can see a crossbow is about my only option. You see I am an old geezer with many more years behind me than are ahead. I have learned that carrying a crossbow in the hands is a bit of a chore as they are on the heavy side and you must keep your hands off and fingers below the rail because at the speed of that string a finger tip could be taken right off. At least I am able to once again get out there and hunt.

Dang man I feel bad now...had no clue of you past medical problems prior to posting. I hope all goes well for you and good luck this year. Are you a Vet. by any chance?

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

No problem MD no offense taken. I think I am a vet with 35 yrs service with over 22 active duty with the Air National Guard.

#14 mdwhite611

mdwhite611

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

Yep. I think yara Vet there Rock Runner. God bless ya brother. :clap:

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

Yes I am a proud veteran. I attained the rank of E7 in the Air Guard and if I would have concented to a move I could have ben E8 or possibly E9. I was too close to retirement at the point that happened and I would if promoted had to add a couple of years to my tour. Besides who wants to go to Washington DC. Not me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users