#16 swampdogg

swampdogg

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing and being with my 2 boys

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

i never used one when i was younger and now that i look back i think that was the dumbest thing i've ever done ok one of the ten or twenty dumbest things i've ever done after i got into tree trimming you couldn't get me in a tree with out a safety harness i'd use my climbing belt and tree spurs to go hunting talk about portable stand snuck up on a lot of deer that way
Eat more possum!

#17 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

While I have never fell from a tree stand I have had some near misses hanging them. I think hunting from a tree stand is like any job. We get to comfortable in what we do and we become complacent and it only takes just that one time for an accident to happen. Oh it will never happen to me because I know what I'm doing and I'm careful well think again.
Here is a prime example of complacency and stupidity and not using safety equipment. This is a short video clip of me shooting without a safety harness. Shooting
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#18 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

Looking back to my younger days I have to agree that using a safety device was for sissys as was using hearing protection. In one respect I was very lucky not to have seriously injured or killed myself by falling out of a tree stand and now I am paying the price of uncovered ears with some profound hearing loss at certain frequencies. Besides I can hear crickets all year long.

use to i never wore a safty divice...buttttttttt 16 years ago my life changed in a split second. the platform of my stand give way as i leaned out over it throwing me to the ground on my head....yep i broke 5 of the 8 vertibre's in my neck....spent a year and a half in hospitals and rehab center's....oh yea i still hunt and hunt off stands...they are of metal and areeee strongly secured to the tree(multiple times) if i can wiggle them i don't hunt off them.and i use safty harnesses and everone that hunts with me does also or they don't hunt...i was almost a fataility but the Good Lord keeped my around to enjoy the great outdoors He made for us...best of luck to you all and happy safe hunting t his season...God Bless...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users