• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:29 AM

After waiting 30+ years to go on a rifle season elkhunt(E2 was an acrhery hunt) I've spent endless hours looking at new gear on-line/in stores/etc. Whew...can this be exhausting ! I did purchase new Irish setter Elk Tracker boots to compliment my Columbia hikers in case of snow but mulled over other outerwear. I decided to travel back in time to revisit my high school's library where I use to sit at a cubical and pour over elk hunting articles in Outdoor Life/Sports Afield/ Field & stream...then imagine myself being there. After reminising I smiled as I thought about the people God has placed in my life to bring this trip about. One memory that stood out was of my grandfather wading through snow on a late season bunny hunt while sharing his wisdom & insight on life and the things most valued from his life experiences. He happened to wearing a Red & black checkered Woolrich jacket that I inherited after his passing away. It may sound crazy but I've decided to scrap the need for "new and improved" and go traditional...maybe a salute to olden times or just to fulfill the daydreams of a black haired kid sitting in a high school cubical reading real life adventures back in the early 70's. Guess the ol' Woolrich jacket and olive drab wool military pants will be a good match for the gray hair/aching hip/and old mauser action 30-06 . :fudd: ... guess we'll find out in a few weeks! Sure some newer duds will packed as well but I'm pleased with possibility of finishing the final chapter...hope the Ruffians are as excited as me & Woodhick ! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

Phil:
Im pumped waiting for seson to get here.
I sort of broke a smile as I was reading your thoughts.

See, I've been up north hunting 4 times now. And not ONE of our guides owns a single piece of camo.
my opt for the last day of the moose hunt, was a pair of blue jeans and a green plaid flannel shirt.

Now I do like my dry lock inslulated gear LOL I won't go hunting wth out it. But like you....there is something about that plaid flannel. :) that just makes the trip feel right.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

Great choice, Phil.

Can't wait to sit around the fire at camp and hear the many new stories you and Harry will have. Deer camp and the Apple Butter Fest are going to be a blast this year.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#4 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Not a thing wrong with Woolrich, they sell it here in CO. Their down plant used to be in Alliance NE yrs ago but not sure if its made there or not now.

Traditions are great cause I HATE CHANGE!!!

Good luck hunting elk Phil, hope to see ya soon. Lemme know if I can be of any help.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users