4 replies to this topic

#1 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

I never hunted elk except with a camera soo I wonder how does the Primos Hoochie Mama cow call work? I bought one I figure if nothing else I can play with it at our camp elk come by from time to time.

#2 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

Almost everyone I know who is a successful elk hunter uses a Hoochie Mama. And this yr my wife and I will also.

Edited by silvertip-co, 27 September 2008 - 07:45 PM.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:50 PM

smirk, you squeeze it and it makes a cow call,
Ohhh you mean is a successfull call. I've stopped elk dead in their tracks with it, actually gotten them to turn around and come back and look to see whats going on...good call.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:43 AM

The name was derived, then shortened from an age old campfire question/accusation...."who cutta da cheese...MAMA!"
*sorry just have a wierd sense of humor after 48 hrs straight with a 2hr catnap.......

Edited by Phil, 28 September 2008 - 11:45 AM.

Posted Image

#5 desertcathunter

desertcathunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

I've use the Hoochie Mama many times while guiding clients and while it isn't perfect it sounds pretty good from a distance. I have found two deadly ways to use this tool. My favorite way is trolling for bulls. When the elk have headed to their beds for the day such as pre rut or warm conditions during the rut, get the wind in your favor then sneak along patches of dark timber and give a couple of slow mews in "lost cow" mode. Most bulls in low pressure hunting areas will readily answer to tell the cow where he is. Slip into cover and wait for a good 30 minutes without another sound. Sometimes the bull will get impatient and work his way right to you. In any event the bull is close at hand. Set up, watch the wind and wait for prime time. Another great way to use the Hoochie is to simulate a herd of elk. This can really get things stirred up if nothing else is working. One good caller can sound like a whole herd with a Hoochie Mamma in each hand and a diaphram call in his mouth. Add a grunt tube and you have three cows and a bugling bull. Everything an elk needs to to get a party started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users