• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:58 PM

Having worked hard all week, and then getting snowed out for a couple days, I finally decided I was going to shoot, no matter what. Even though the temp was maybe 50?s it was drizzling, and a somewhat strong wind at times, I decided I needed to throw some of the new Bullshop Bullets I got. The rifle of course was a White .504 Ultra Mag with the 2-7 Nikon Pro Staff scope.

Since I had the rifle somewhat tuned in with 460 grain No Excuse Conicals, I decided to start with them as my base load, just to prove to myself that the rifle was on. I also decided if I moved the bench further back, the house could stop some of the wind on me.

I shot the 460 grain No Excuse Conicals using 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f. I also double wad applied the 1/16th fiber wads from TOTW. I also wanted to shoot a couple of the 495 grain No Excuse Conicals I got. I wad pleased with the group the rifle shot. For the Nikon Pro to go on and off as much as it does with the Warne QD rings, the rifle held real true.

Posted Image

I then swabbed the barrel clean (yes I know it is not necessary but I wanted to be fair with my testing.. ) and loaded 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f , 2 wads and a Bullshop 460 grain Conical. The highest two hits were the first two shots. Once the rifle got "dirty" it really started to lay them conicals into a nice group. I shot a total of six of the 460 grain Bullshop bullets to see if I would get any strays.

Posted Image

I again swabbed the barrel and this time loaded Bullshop 496 NEW conicals. I again loaded 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and again two wads. The highest hit was the first. It then started to lay them in well and suddenly the last one it threw for some reason to the far right.. I did note that the one to the far right was VERY HARD to load down the barrel for some reason. I actually had to use a short starter on that conical. None of the conicals so far had needed a short starter.

Posted Image

I also wanted to try some of my own home casted projectiles. I cast a 405 grain .458 diameter pure lead FP that I shoot out of a Knight orange sabot. I was loading 90 grains of Swiss 2f to shoot them. I was actually impressed with the way it shot these .458 projectiles.

Posted Image

After all of that I pulled the breech plug on the White Ultra Mag and got out a traditional rifle with open sights and played with that rifle for another 20 shots. Finally having my powder fix, I decided I could stop for the day.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

Cayugad that White sure puts em in there. Congratulations. I kind of got a temporary fix testing some bullets out of my 7mm mag. Eric and I put in for a cow elk permit with modern rifles in Colorado. The muzzleloader season dates did not coincide with when others are going to be there. I believe I posted a pic of the 100 yd target in the Firearms Forum. Our rifles are custom 7mm mags made before Remington came out with it's Rem 7mm Mag. We are going to take our knights as backup and possibly use them as the main rifle. I got some 300 gr hornady xtps to try. At least as soon as I can get more Harvester black crush rib sabots. As far as I can tell we can use a scope and sabotted bullets during the regular rifle season. We will know by the 24th if we were drawn.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

Yep nice shooting there Cayugad. :yes: Soon as PA and I can get this turkey hunting out of our systems we will continue to test and make the smoke fly. B)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

I have a Ruger M77 7mm Magnum I bought back in 1985 for elk hunting out west. I then sent that to a gunsmith friend of mine and had him work it over. He did a number of things to is and made it a sweet shooter. For years, I took a lot of deer with that rifle at some amazing distances.

Those 7mm mags are a good rifle without a doubt. Flat shooting and hard hitting. I think the last time I shot that rifle was 1992 when I went out west hunting mule deer. It has a 3-9x40 Tasco Scope (back when Tasco was a good scope) and it can shoot a long way........... :D

Your Knight with a good sabot combination should make good elk medicine. If that is legal in their modern rifle gun season, that should be a fun rifle and no reason why you could not shoot out to 150 yards and further.

So far this White Rifle has really been a good shooter. I sure like the 2-7x32mm Nikon Scope that is on it. It really seems to shoot well.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:31 PM

:yes: CAYUGAD NICE GROUPING BUT DOES IT SEEM TO BE SHOOTING A LITTLE TO THE RIGHT OR WHERE YOU JUST AIMING THERE ? I LIKE THE YARDAGE YOU SHOT AT. I'M IMPRESSED THATS COOL ! BRING IT TO 100 YRDS AND SEE WHAT IT WILL DO . I BET IT WILL BE RITE IN THERE :yes: THE SCOPE
SEEMS TO BE DOING OK B)

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:39 PM

Yes the rifle is shooting just a bit to the right. When I get my load cemented down, I will then move to the 100 yard station on a lead sled and adjust the sight for the final setting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users