2 replies to this topic

#1 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

My brother called me this winter inquiring about turkey hunting as he hadn't hunted them since back when I started around 1985. He wanted to take my nephew out who is 15 and has hunted ducks, geese, grouse, and deer for the last few years. I contacted one of the landowners I have permission for to ask if they could hunt the season before mine and he said yes.

I decided to head down with them so I could show them the property lines and then hunt the first morning with them. I had to be back to work at 2pm so we got there on a Wed afternoon and hiked up the top of a bluff and checked the ridges and fields out. Then met the landowner and after catching up on things we retired to the local hotel.

Next morning I took my nephew out and my brother split off in another direction. The birds started gobblin about 5:15am before first light and between them and the owls it was a sound fest sent from heaven above!! We made our way to a ridge top that ended on one end of property and had multiple gobblers firing off from both sides of us. One gobbler in particular to our right was moving closer so I setup my nephew and moved back about 40 yards over a rise. I could hear the gobbler thundering away as he moved closer yet. I crawled back and forth clucking, purring, scratching leaves, etc to entice him into range. I then went silent for a bit and started moving back and forth thundering away. I had the feeling he had hens with him in the meadow and would only move so far. There was a ridge in the meadow and he wouldn't come over it. He was close enough where the gobbles took on that clattering sound like it's reverberating off the ground. As a last ditch effort, I turned aggressive with alot of cutting/clucking but he moved off with the girls and that was it. The woods went silent and it was time for me to make the 3 hour drive back home to work. I hope my nephew appreciated the sound show that morning as I think back to when I first started hunting. It took me a few years before I ever got that close to a Tom that was bellerin' in my face. That was neat...

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

Know the feeling intimately. Each gobble sends something akin to an electric shock through the body. The mind turns to mush and the body turns into a quivering mass of jelly. Aaaah the joys of turkey hunting. Thanks for doing your part to make an exciting day for a young hunter.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

That sounded like a wonderful morning Tim. :yes: I can say that I had a gobbler less than 20yds gobble right in my face (Boy that was loud) :o and that was yesterday.

About the only thing I think of better or just as good is haveing a bull elk buggling at about the same distance. B) :yes: And I pray that PA and I get picked so I can experience that thrill.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users