3 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

That flashpan in my tc hawkins .50 cal flintlock still distracts me and Im not able to sight in as it should be. Do you think getting a peep sight will help me be less distracted? I wont hunt with it till Im happy and seeing how cayugad's papers are soo much better then mine makes me want the new sights more. I did buy the gun used. Maybe theres something wrong with it & I should take it to a smith. Maybe its just me...or both.

This is what I had in mind...........

sight

Edited by Whitetiger, 04 October 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

Getting used to a flintlock can be frustrating. This may not seem to be logical but less powder in the pan means a quicker ignition. I only put enough to fill about 1/4 to 1/3 full and get faster ignition than one 1/2 or 3/4 full. I also keep a flash hole pick handy to be sure the channel is clear. As for a peep sight I use one and really like it. Mine is called a vee peep as it is open at the top. the hole is fairly big but I like it that way as I can see around the front sight better.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

I have that same peep sight here at the house. It used to be on a T/C Renegade. I liked it, and it was very accurate. BUT where I hunt in shadows in the cedar marshes, late afternoon shadows can play havoc on my old eyes. Of course you can take the center out of the sight and shoot it in a ghost ring. I never did that. I guess I always figured I would loose the center. Instead I went to 1X scopes which are legal.

As for getting over that flash in the pan, the thing I do is prepare myself mentally. I tell myself that it can not hurt me, and then I concentrate on the sights. I actually look through the shot. I look over that sight, fire, ignore the flash, and concentrate on the target. I actually want to see the hole pop through the target. Of course with the smoke this seldom happens, but it helps me to maintain the shot, ignore the flash, and shoot more accurate.

Whether that peep sight would help you with the flash.. I doubt it. Still they are a heck of a aiming device. I had mine professionally mounted by a gun smith. When I took it off (same gunsmith) the gunsmith laughed because he tried to talk me into the scope in the first place. Still, one of the longest shots I ever made was with that peep sight and it drilled perfect where I wanted...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

What load are you shooting in that Hawkins?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users