6 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

We've all seen the ads for uv killer clothing treatment. Looks like it works if your hunting under a black light but does the deer really see in the uv spectrum? Does anyone use this product & have you noticed a difference? I hunt from the ground and am always looking for an edge. I had a gift card for cabelas and while I was there, I picked up a bottle to try. Was wondering if I wasted the credit I coulda used for some more code blue. I cant say my camo is bad because I had 3 doe and one hunter from 13-20 yards of me & they didnt even know I was there. The hunter eventually spotted my orange back tag and apologize as he left.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Well, they claim that deer see it but I've been hunting for over 30 years. Long before any of these UV killers came out. Long before state of the art camo and scent killer clothing and sprays. Long before most of the stuff they claim you must have to be a successful deer hunter, and you know what? I killed more deer back then than now. :lol: As for the question about deer seeing the UV Spectrum, I always hunted in my old USAF field jacket and blue jeans, orange stocking cap and whatever orange vest I could come up with. I had deer walk right up to me on several occasions. Had them feed around me close enough to touch. They didn't seem to mind what I was wearing one bit. I think there was only two reasons for that. 1) I always stored my hunting clothes in a sack with cedar boughs or wild mint to mask human scent. Both of which are natural smells deer are use to. 2) I always sat perfectly still. No smoking a cigaret, no munching on snacks or drinking anything. Deer spot movement quicker than anything and I believe that is the most common reason for getting busted. Many times I'm sure the deer knew I was there, but as I sat frozen, they didn't recognise me as a threat.

Edited by Spirithawk, 05 October 2008 - 12:15 PM.

#3 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

I'm no biologist but I have to agree with Norm on this one. I to have hunted in blue jeans and my clothes were washed with every day landry soap. I never even knew of all these scent killers or had the state of the art camo but yet killed animals just the same.
We depend to much on technology rather than down to earth hunting the way it use to be, knowing the habits of game, hunting the wind, and as Norm said movement can make or break a hunt. Even the doe I arrowed two weeks ago I had minimal camo on and my face or hands were not covered and used no scent control. The funny thing was we had a stare down for about ten minutes before I shot her oh and wearing white tenny runners. Movement and wind is key period!!!!!!!
So in the end it's what makes you feel confident and if it gives you that extra edge to harvest an animal use it.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

I too have hunted long before the present offerings were even thought of. Recent science does indicate that a deers colorvision is different than a humans. We see from red to blue and a deer is supposed to be able to see only in the blue specrtum but also into the ultraviolet spectrum. I do believe in camo gear as it does help me blend into the environment and serves to break up my human outline. I use my military BDUs in forest green to hunt in. I do wash them in the scent free UV killer sport wash. Does this help, that I do not know but it has not hurt me either. Norm is right on though as it does'nt matter what you have on if you move your chances of remaining hidden are nil. I do not believe in all the charcoal lined, forget the wind just hunt jargon though. I do use a scent killer spray and my sport wash leaves an earthy smell. Yea I get all cleaned up and then put on clothes that smell like dirt.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

I wash my hunting clothes in a scent free detergent. I then put them in plastic bags with the waffer earth scent. I then seal the bag and leave them in there for a couple of weeks before I go hunting. I also wash my hunting boots with distilled water and baking soda. When going into the woods I will spray down with scent shield or dead down wind. Its just common sense to hunt with the wind in your favor.

turbo

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

I wash my hunting clothes in a scent free detergent. I then put them in plastic bags with the waffer earth scent. I then seal the bag and leave them in there for a couple of weeks before I go hunting. I also wash my hunting boots with distilled water and baking soda. When going into the woods I will spray down with scent shield or dead down wind. Its just common sense to hunt with the wind in your favor.

turbo

Ditto Dave. On the clothes I'll use a soap that does not have brightners in it and is scent free or carbon soap for my scent lok. I have tried the UV inhibitor spray on my clothes I washed for this season just to see if makes a difference. But if you don't move fast and keep most of your face and hands covered you'll stay undetected better.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

For hunting clothes, I believe in UV blockers or detergents with no UV brighteners. I also hunt from the ground. I cannot present scientific proof, only observations and theories. Years ago, it seemed that the older ones hunting jacket/pants got, the better they worked. Great care was taken not to soil the garments as one hated to wash anymore than needed. It seemed like freshly laundered garments "didnt work as well" as garments that had been worn/rained/snowed upon several times. Weather will break down the UV brighteners that ordinary laundry detergents will add to the clothes, along with the scent. Along comes detergents made for hunting clothes that contains no UV brighteners or scent.Also, sprays for new clothes that dont need washing, and then new clothes that contained no UV brighteners at all. Supposedly deer see UV, so why keep adding it to clothes when you no longer need to? I have had great success with it even on blaze orange clothing. Having tried almost all the gimmicks associated with hunting, more from curiosity than anything else, UV killers is the one thing i think really works. Having said that, it will not replace good hunting skills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users