• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

I took my knight Bighorn to Kansas two weeks ago for their early muzzleloader season. Man it was hot and the bug were bad. The first morning I saw 3 deer---no antlers though. I let them walk. That turned out to be a mistake. Although I jumped a deer in the brush without seeing it I did not see another deer for a week. Man they just were not moving. Monday after dark we were walking back to the truck and I had already pulled my cap when about 40 yds from the truck 4 deer ran out. I was leaving on Thursday so was very discouraged. Tuesday afternoon my son-in-law called to say we had a new property to hunt. A local apple orchard was having a real deer problem and noone so far could kill one. I quickly got dressed and headed out. The property is in a fairly developed area and had only a couple of ways to shoot. Well long story short I got a big doe that evening. I hit her on the near shoulder and blew through the shoulder blade and the bullet came out near the back edge of the diaphragm on the opposite side. She went about 50 yds and collapsed. I am really sold on those Hornady 300 gr xtps.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

glad ya got a big doe :) backstraps are backstraps :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Congrats my friend. Ya did good. :thumbsup:

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

Do you shoot the XTP mag express or just the standard XTP's? Also are they the .44 or .45 caliber?

Congratulations on the doe. Nothing better then a nice fat doe.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

Good shooting Paul!
Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

Thanks all for the good words.

Cayugad the Hornady xtps are 45 caliber and are the standard xtps. I use a Harvester crush rib sabot and 80 gr of ffg Gooex. This bullet blew through a shoulder blade and in all about 14 inches of deer and just kept on going. I did have a little trouble following a blood trail as the orchard is like a well manicured lawn. I actually tracked it better than blood trail it. I found where it entered the woods and immediately saw it laying in the undergrowth about 20 yds in. Since these folks were so nice I did not field dress the deer and was that a real chore to drag it about 25 yds back into the orchard. They let me drive the truck right up to it so I did not have to drag it further. Man they were nearly as excited as I was.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

congrats on the doe ...and i applaud you for your respect to the landowner's ...

Edited by tomscheland, 07 October 2008 - 07:41 AM.

D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

:clap: :clap: great start to the season and great shootin!
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

Congrats on the doe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users