6 replies to this topic

#1 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:43 AM

there was a poucher on a farm next to where i hunt and he got caught then went back and set fire to the place ...yes he was caught again..of course it's super dry here so the fire consumed several acre's. on both farms... i come off my stand to help as much as i could to get the fire under control...and the property owner has now given me all hunting rights to his property so it can be watched...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

Tom that's nothing but scum when someone does that sort of stuff. That sort of person you definitely don't want to confront by yourself if your watching the farm, call for back up. And good hunting!

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 07 October 2008 - 08:19 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Unfortunately a typical poacher reaction to getting caught. "Burn me! I'll burn you!" Sadly, I know more than one landowner that has had this exact same thing happen.

You are extremely fortunate he was caught in the act of setting the fire. He'll get no mercy whatsoever from the courts.

I wish I could assure you it will end there. But I've seen folks who disrespect the law have no boundaries whatsoever. Be careful, folks who have no respect for the law are extremely dangerous. The repeat offenders are the worst. They don't care if they get caught. They really don't.
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

Had a similar situation here too a number of years ago. A hunting club bought land that a man had bought and improved and built a lodge on. The hunting club went in and took down all the locals tree stands. Within a week the whole mountain was set afire requiring forest fire fighters, local volunteer firefighters and a water drop airplane to extinguish. There are still suspicions as to who did this but no proof. Actually the fire went through so fast only a few trees were adversly affected but the understory was and still after many years is negatively affected. Within a week or so the hunting club property was posted and we all lost.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

Your a good person for helping out. Shame he didnt get burned by his own fire or accidently tripped a few times on the way to the squad car so to speak.

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

Tom it was great that you helped out and got permission to hunt the rest of the property, but like most has said this person is dangerous, and he will not stop till he thinks he has gotten even so to speak, and he won't care who he hurts to get it done,. So be safe and good hunting.

turbo

#7 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

thanks to all...my son was confronted about a week before the fire by folks on the road that joins the property. they ask him what he was doing there and he stated he was trying to hunt, if you will keep the loud shouts down...we never thought a lot about it (the property i hunt has not been known hunted for 7 years) and just thought it was folks that like p.e.t.a. now we think it was the pocher and his friends because my son was hunting around their entrance to the other property...yes we'll be carefull and thanks for the alert...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users