• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dkeesla

dkeesla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

I recently purchased a CVA optima Elite 45-70 from Academy sports. After mounting a scope and bore sighting it I went to the range. It would not fire. It appears that the return bar was dropping below the hammer, thereby missing the firing pin.

I was able to return it and exchange for a new rifle (not their normal policy). I mounted and bore sighted the next rifle. It fired 8 times till I was close to dead on at 25 and then 100 yards. My second shot at 100 yards did not fire. Nor did the second cartridge. Both cartridges had impact marks on the primer. The first one had two dimples on it from firing twice. I am shooting the Hornandy 45-70 cartridge. I went back to the shop at the range and he gave me two more new cartridges. I tried them both and they fired.

I am now worried that their is something wrong with this new CVA 45-70 Optima Elite. I contacted CVA and they didn't have an answer other than return it for repair, and that it is unlikely that they bullets were defective.

Anyone have a suggestion? Primitive firearms season in Louisiana is November 8th and CVA is "not sure if they can have the rifle back to me by then."

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

David :blink:

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

My best advice, since your worried about not getting it back in time if you send it off to be checked, is to fire as many rounds through it as you can afford to see if the problem repeats itself or untill your satisfied it won't. It could be as simple as bad cartridges, don't let them tell you it's not possible, I've had it happen as have others I know of.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

If the Transfer Bar on the CVAs work the same as on the NEFs which I suspect they do, it's pretty annoying.

The transfer bar is a safety mechanism designed to drop the bar out of the way if the trigger tension is released before the hammer falls. What this means to the shooter is if you don't follow through with your trigger pull (ie. squeeze it all the way back) you get "NO BANG".

So unless you can prove the bar is dropping while you have the trigger pulled there is nothing to fix. The transfer bar is designed to stay up only while the trigger is actually being pulled.
Posted Image

#4 carwile1

carwile1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

I recently purchased a CVA optima Elite 45-70 from Academy sports. After mounting a scope and bore sighting it I went to the range. It would not fire. It appears that the return bar was dropping below the hammer, thereby missing the firing pin.

I was able to return it and exchange for a new rifle (not their normal policy). I mounted and bore sighted the next rifle. It fired 8 times till I was close to dead on at 25 and then 100 yards. My second shot at 100 yards did not fire. Nor did the second cartridge. Both cartridges had impact marks on the primer. The first one had two dimples on it from firing twice. I am shooting the Hornandy 45-70 cartridge. I went back to the shop at the range and he gave me two more new cartridges. I tried them both and they fired.

I am now worried that their is something wrong with this new CVA 45-70 Optima Elite. I contacted CVA and they didn't have an answer other than return it for repair, and that it is unlikely that they bullets were defective.

Anyone have a suggestion? Primitive firearms season in Louisiana is November 8th and CVA is "not sure if they can have the rifle back to me by then."

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

David :blink:

#5 carwile1

carwile1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

i recently purchased an optima elite 223. from hunter hollow.fired wonderful through about two boxes, suddenly started doing the same thing yours is. my only problem is that i don't have time to send it off this year. did they say why

#6 Slick

Slick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

Guys I have been in the gun repair business since 1982. The problem your having with the CVA is with the "Lifter" which is called the transfer bar by common people. It can be a couple of things that causes the lifter to not work as it is supposed to. It can ride on the side of the receiver when the hammer is cocked keeping it from going into correct position, it can be the lifter spring is not in the correct place, it could be a defective lifter or it can be shooter error. I have had to take the lifter out and do a little tweaking to make it work like it is supposed to when it is lifter problem but after the fix you cannot own a better gun.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Slick this may be a bit presumptuous but could you elaborate a bit more on "tweaking"? As I hope you have seen on this board we all enjoy sharing in any knowledge anyone else may have. Besides what good is a day if you don't learn SOMETHING? LOL
Semper Fi

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

By the way, dkeesla, carwile1 and slick, welcome to Hunting Resource, I hope we have you around here and posting like crazy for a long time! :yes:
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users