• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

The chat room locks up my whole pc and I have to kill the power at the main switch to get the pc to unlock. I cant even use the normal shutdown or restart features. It started doing it every night about three week ago. I hate pulling the plug on the pc so I may have to just chat elsewhere.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

Short Answer: The chatroom is not locking up your computer.

Long Answer: The chatroom is virtually the same setup as the forums. It is based in PHP and utilizes a MySQL database just like the forums here (and most forums on the Internet). There is no Java, Flash, Shockwave, or any other applet, plugin, or program that loads or must be loaded/downloaded when entering or using the chatroom. Thus there is nothing going on behind the scenes that even could, in theory, "lock up" a computer. In essence, logging into the chatroom is virtually the same as starting a topic on the forums with a handful of other people actively posting replies to each other. (It's just set up to look and act more like a traditional chatroom.) Login authentication is passed on directly from the forums, so even that requires no separate loading/management.

The chatroom is owned/licensed by HuntingResource.com and is housed on our own server just like the forums. (Unlike all previous chatrooms we've used which were leased and housed on the software manufacturer's server for us.) This allows us to ensure first hand that everything is running optimally and that nothing is or has been "hacked". No changes, updates, or modifications have been made to the chatroom (or HuntingResource.com site for that matter) in the past three weeks for anything to have occurred on our end to create an issue/problem as you have described.

After years of having intermittent issues with Java chatrooms (some the chatroom software's fault - some Java's fault...) this was the best looking option to us, all things considered. (I only wish we had found it much sooner as a few years back we had members using WebTV who couldn't even use a Java-based chatroom.)

I am sorry to hear of your issues, but at this time we can offer no solution or "fix" on our end.

At a glance, most likely reasons for the issue:

- An overzealous pop-up blocker that doesn't like the fact that the chatroom opens in its own window.

- Web Browser "security settings" set too high.
(Similar to above, may make the fact that the chatroom "pops up" in its own window seem as a threat/intrustion/advertisement.)

- Computer is somehow compromised.
(I know you said your system is clean, but a lot of folks - myself included - have thought that and were surprised to find they were wrong.)

Any of these issues could also be compounded by a system that is a bit light on resources (slower processor, low on RAM... possibly an older system). Such a system could simply bog down or "lock up" just because a program or two that uses a little too much in system resources on your computer is being called upon to examine the chatroom when it's opened.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

Not that it will likely make a difference, but for what it's worth...
Chatroom Version Update

sig_admin.png

#4 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

Jer, was in the chat room tonight with Woody and HH and HH was having problems staying in plus he would not see his comments, we could see them but not him. plus again tonight the chat room said I logged off but my name was still in the logged in area plus I could still see and type messages.

turbo

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, I think HH has had intermittent issues with chat. (Even in the older rooms.)
Unfortunately, we can't diagnose all user issues. Sometimes it comes down to being a hardware and/or software conflict on that user's computer that is just out of our control and/or scope. We still encourage reporting any issues because sometimes we've seen the problem before and can make suggestions. (I wish we could solve 'em all.)

=======

When you leave the room, are you clicking disconnect or clicking the "x" on the window? In theory, it shouldn't matter but I think sometimes the disconnect button "lags" depending on connection speed etc.

sig_admin.png

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

Another FWIW...

Have you attempted to clear your forum cookie(s)?
(There's a button near the bottom of the forum summary page that says "Delete cookies set by this board" you can click if you don't know how to do so manually.)

sig_admin.png

#7 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

Jer, we have noticed problems in the chatroom for the last two weeks. One problem members are experiencing is being booted and having to shut down and come back in, only to be booted again. Another thing that is happening, the chatroom says a member has left, but no they can still carry on chatting even though their name has disappeared from the list in the lobby, at some point later their name reappears on the chatroom lobby list. Some members have experienced not being able to their posts, we can though but they cannot view our replies either, they have to leave and come back in, then it may be happen again later.

Here is a list of members that we have been chatting with over the last week that have experienced the above-mentioned issues.

Joe, AlericOdin, PATurbo, HH, SilvertipCO, ricfirefighter, doog, Whistlepig, Eric, Younghunter12. In fact, I can say that all persons that have entered chat over the last week have experienced these issues while we were chatting.
Something is just not right as these issues were not happening on a regular basis until recently.
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Jer, we have noticed problems in the chatroom for the last two weeks. One problem members are experiencing is being booted and having to shut down and come back in, only to be booted again. Another thing that is happening, the chatroom says a member has left, but no they can still carry on chatting even though their name has disappeared from the list in the lobby, at some point later their name reappears on the chatroom lobby list. Some members have experienced not being able to their posts, we can though but they cannot view our replies either, they have to leave and come back in, then it may be happen again later.

Here is a list of members that we have been chatting with over the last week that have experienced the above-mentioned issues.

Joe, AlericOdin, PATurbo, HH, SilvertipCO, ricfirefighter, doog, Whistlepig, Eric, Younghunter12. In fact, I can say that all persons that have entered chat over the last week have experienced these issues while we were chatting.
Something is just not right as these issues were not happening on a regular basis until recently.

http://forums.huntin...?showtopic=5421

And in the end we still come back to the fact that until yesterday there had been absolutely no changes made to the site, chat included, for at least the past month. So, if something changed in the past couple weeks it couldn't have been on this end.

I will submit some questions to the software company and see what they have to say or suggest about anything. Beyond that... ... ...

sig_admin.png

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

I have submitted a support ticket to PCR outlining some of the suggested issues.

sig_admin.png

#10 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

Thank you Jer, hope they can figure out what is happening.
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:55 AM

This is going to be short 'cause I need to get to bed. (See, and y'all thought ol' Jer was just asleep at the wheel anymore these days.)

So far Pro Chat has said the exact same thing I said. They've received no such "bug" reports before now and have absolutely no explanation as to how a room that has had no configuration changes to it in over a month (until yesterday when we upgraded to 4.0, of course) could suddenly start causing problems for people unless the issue was/is an OS or browser setting on the user's end.

I can honestly say I have been trying to recreate any of the issues mentioned here both in our room and on the Pro Chat demo room on their site for the past day and have had no luck. I've only come across one thing I consider a bug and I've told Pro Chat about it as well.

They are (hopefully... supposed to be) taking a look at our configuration file(s) to see if anything looks incorrect or configured in a way that could cause conflicts. (I hope to know what they say tomorrow, but who knows.) I have a feeling I know what they are going to say though.

sig_admin.png

#12 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

Jere: Thank you for trying to figure out our problems. As woody stated for me, I seem to freeze up, just in this chat, not really freeze up, but I will type a resaponse and not see it come up on my screen, and not be able to see any other's response. It is like my screen is stuck. In the past I was on our desktop with a dial-up connection, when I experienced problems. I am on a new laptop with high speed connection now, when experiencing the problem recently. I clean the laptop files regularly. Just a heads up from my end. Thanks for your efforts, and allowing us to have this website. Hope your health is improving and your hunting season is fruitful. HH in Pa :boone:

#13 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

This morning Jeff at pro chat thanked me for the detailed explanations of bugs and asked for a little more information as well as a log in account for the chat. (So, if you see a user "prochatrooms" in the chat it's just them doing a little testing.) They also released two updates that include a total of 4 changed files. (One I was able to verify fixed an issue with font selections not staying selected when changing rooms.)

Perhaps a little brighter outlook today...

sig_admin.png

#14 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

Jer, I think you really need to spend some time in the chat during the evenings when a couple of people are there so you can see first hand what is happening to everyone that chats there, not just a few people are having issues but all chatters are experiencing the same issues and the freezing problem is getting worse, tonight we all had to disconnect, and come back in on numerous occasions, or if you read the chat logs, you will see how often it is happening. There definitely is an issue, whatever it may be I have no idea except I know it happening more frequently as time goes by.
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#15 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

Couple things here...

First, this is where I'll be posting chat updates from now on.

Second, I've witnessed via the transcripts (and other ways) that most of you conduct chat in the "Lobby". What if users moved over to the "Campfire", for one example, and tried chatting there for a night? As I've said before, the Lobby has slightly different permission settings (mandatory in the software) than the other rooms. It's really only meant as a first stop, not a final destination, if you will. It may make no difference, or it may make all the difference in the world. I'd surely try it out.

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users