7 replies to this topic

#1 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

I got rid of my 7mm. Lazzeroni last year($100/box & kicked like a mule!)-with the money-I bought a Mark V ultralight 257 weatherby mag. Isighted it in & hunted with 115 gr. barnes X bullet. All 3 deer I shot with it ran at least 70 yds or more-didn't leave alot of blood either. I'm thinking it is too much bullet for light skinned whitetail. They didn't leave much of an exit hole! I don't think I'm getting any expansion. I'm thinking of trying out either, 115 nosler ballistic tip OR a spirepoint bullet. Anyone have any experiences with either? please elaborate on performance on live game. I'm concerned about these "holding up" at such high velocities. I need something that will have some weight retention...not blow to peices when it hits something. I'm hoping one of these may fit my needs.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:01 AM

Try the 120 grain speer. They work good out of the 257.The ballistic tip are very accurate, but they blow to pieces when they hit something. What are you using for powder? Try either IMR 7828 or reloader 25. They will give you maximum velocities. I'm loading 120 grain speer hotcores for a friend, and he uses them for moose. No complaints with them.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

The only 257's I have ever reloaded were 257 rbts +P loads. I used the 117 gr Hornady spitzers. My daughter shot a 400 lb oryx in New Mexico with them the shot was at about 300 yds and a heart shot at that. I too killed a mule deer with the same set up one shot at about 125 yds with her rifle. My son-in-law used it on a whitetail in Kansas with the same result - 1 shot kill at the shot site i.e. went down where they stood. I know the 257 wby is a bit more potent than the Roberts but I am sold on the 117 gr Hornadys.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:47 PM

STICK N STRING SO HOW FAR AWAY DO YOU THINK THE DEER WAS WHEN IT WAS SHOT 75 YRDS OR LESS WILL ONLY LEAVE A SMALL ENTRY & EXIT HOLE
BUT WHEN YOU MOVE BACK TO 100 YRDS OR MORE THAT BULLET WILL EXPAND
MORE AS IT SLOWS DOWN SO LOOK AT THE MID RANGE OF WEIGHT OF THE
BULLETS WITH A GOOD EXPANTION YOU MITE FIND OUT THAT THE 257 IS A GOOD
LONG RANGE ROUND THAT GUN SHOULD BE GOOD AROUND 500YRDS I'VE SEEN THE 7MM TAKE A MOOSE DOWN AT A MILE THE 257 IS SLIGHTLY SMALLER WITH JUST AS MUCH POWER SO IF YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT AT CLOSE RANGE USE A HEAVER BULLET DO YOUR HOME WORK WITH THE GUN SEE WHAT IT WILL DO
THE MORE YOU PLAY THE MORE YOU LEARN GOOD LUCK :yes:

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

Well in my experience the Barnes X are a disaster on deer at Weatherby velocities out of the 300Weatherby. I had EXACTLY the same experience you did. Long extremely sparse blood trail and a pathetic exit wound. After a couple of repeat performances from the bullet I won't be using that bullet in that cartridge any more.

Ballistic tips practically explode on contact. Partitions work well in 180gr weights and up. The lighter ones don't leave that great a blood trail.

Hornady interlock spire points work great in the 300WBY at high velocities for deer. In fact, I'm convinced they are the most spectacular whitetail killers out a 300WBY there is. This goes against common wisdom but they really do work. I would certainly consider them out of the 257WBY for any southern Whitetail.

I wanna try the new accubonds. As long as their not as explosive as the ballistic tips they might work very good indeed.

Edited by Leo, 18 May 2006 - 10:42 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

I thought I'd add.

The 100gr Spire Point Weatherby factory loads are Hornady bullets. These have bullets have been a staple for the Weatherby Factory loadings as long as I can remember.

The reason they are still available is the FLAT OUT work.

You should be able to get a box for just over $40 ;)
Posted Image

#7 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:30 PM

Last week I went out and p/u a box of Hornady interlocks @ $32/box. I like the way they are put together(researched them on-line)-I'm excited about them! Thanks for the input gentlemen!

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

I'll go out on a limb and suggest you will be very pleased with their performance on game.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users