• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

ill let mark tell his own account but this was an awesome buck, and i had the pleasure to be right beside him for this breath taking hunt!! i was also fortunate enough to be with my best friend mike, as he fulfilled his lifelong quest of a great fallow buck, both of this archers made mind blowing shots .I killed my first deer with a bow, a beutiful spotted fallow doe at 40 yards, i am thrilled, just got done grinding her up into burger. mark, jeff,joe,mike and i had an absolute blast, and our friendship grows stronger with each meet!!mark and mike will tell their tales, but i wanted to show there pics. no pic of my doe, the guides had her hung before i could blink, i hate pics in the cooler! it was a great time!!

Posted Image

Edited by 7pointbuck, 16 October 2008 - 07:51 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

mike .left me on right mikes beautiful fallow 17 points
Posted Image

Edited by 7pointbuck, 16 October 2008 - 07:53 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

Congrats to all sounds like a great time was had by all.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

Congrats guys

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

I heard the story on the phone this morning. its an awesome one ;)
way to go guys.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

Roar of the Fallow Buck, Self defense bowhunting!

Upon arrival at Wilderness I noticed it felt like autumn but the trees were just beginning to loose the leaves. We all met up at the new lodge they just finished. Nice place. I heard this roar standing next to the woods and immediately was surprised by it. Like nothing I’ve heard before. My impression from this constant roar was a male African lion on the hillside hidden in the canopy of the forest.

Fallow deer herd was in their annual rut. Bucks were being territorial, clashing antlers, fighting, scraping the ground, rubbing small trees, and defending their does on the mountain and fingering ridges. The bugling or roar was unmistakable at a very long distance. It has to be the loudest bugle in comparison to other deer coming from such a medium size deer. It was equal to the red stag’s roar and they dwarfed the fallow buck. The dominant fallow buck would demonstrate by bellowing repeatedly at times for a minute or two. Then again at times just once or twice. It raised the hairs on the back of your neck when you first heard it. It made the hunt that much more exciting.

The three of us, Mike Bill and me, unhurriedly stalked the herd as it moved from one ridge to the next. We’d still hunt. We’d move ever so slowly listening and looking for them as too not spook them. Doing this we’d encounter the satellite bucks of the herd. These bucks were no way the largest. The dominant buck had showed them he’s the boss weeks before. These bucks were looking for does that wandered off from the herd. Finally after several hours of what seemed like several miles of steep uphill moves toward the herd we were able to plan our move on the herd. We watched the herd as satellite bucks were moving outside and circling the dominant buck with his harem. One at a time these lesser bucks would make their move on the does and try to separate a few for them. This caused a ruckus in the herd with the does and was ensued with a chase by the dominant buck with growls, roars and constant bugling. At one point we watched as the herd moved away from what was a very dark shaded part of the mount. We took the opportunity to move up in the area while the herd was out regrouping after a raid had occurred by lesser buck.

The three of us sat down at the top in the midst of the herd’s stronghold where the view below gave the herd the advantage. The wind was too in our advantage now. We positioned ourselves amongst the rock out cropping and some old blown down trees and waited for the return of the herd. Several minutes passed and we saw several large boars move some 70 yards to our left down the hillside. Then a satellite buck and his doe appeared to our right. A few minutes passed when Bill noticed a second lone dark phased buck coming in our direction. He whispered to me, “Buck”, “Huge chocolate buck coming fast at us, shooter!” I no more had just begun to turn to look and caught his approach in the corner of my eye. I hurriedly started to draw my bow back and spoon to get myself ready for a potential shot. I then realized the buck was running right at Bill and me. The buck was bounding like an antelope trying to clear some very high logs and weeds and was bounding toward us. I had trouble just trying to move that fast and settle my pins in my sight. When my peep cleared properly around the sight guard and my vision settled the buck was a mere 10 yards. I released my arrow aiming at the buck’s chest just below his throat. My shot was centered and it punched the charging buck right in the center of neck and buried itself in the neck and stuck in the spine. The charging buck then spun hard to its right and went 60 yards down the steep embankment and stopped between some large trees. This first shot happened so fast it was over before I really knew it. We three were amazed. I intently viewed as the buck was still on it’s feet. I looked at the buck and had no second shot. We quickly agreed on a second shot. I inched my way through sticks, logs, rocks and stuff down the steep hill being as quiet as possible to make up some angle and distance for a lethal second arrow. I got in position where I could see its boiler room broadside. The buck’s head was blocked but its’ vital where clearly available and I took a reading with my range finder and I’m now at 33 yards. Steep downhill shot I put the 30 yard pin dead on the pocket and released. The second Easton epic arrow carrying the 125 grain G5 Striker broadhead did the deadly deed. It passed threw the chest taking the heart and lower lungs and the buck stumbled 10 more feet and gave it up. I was stunned at my accomplishment. It happened so darn fast I hadn’t had time for the adrenalin rush before taking a shot. It didn’t really set in till I saw the buck fall. When I took the second shot I was locked in and had tunnel vision for those eternal seconds. It somehow felt like I shot in self defense with my first arrow. Bill and Mike agree about the shooting the way I did. It was now shoot or take a full antler hit by a large fully swollen necked in rut 200 lbs buck.

Mike kept saying during this hunt it was like an elk hunt, mini elk hunt and was a total blast.

It was a hunt to remember and nothing ordinary or simple. It was a bit hard physically and challenging getting close for a bow kill. I feel very lucky about my success and couldn’t have done it without the help of Mike and Bill. Thanks guys for your assist. You guys made this hunt happen. The Fallow deer in the past were impossible for us to get close to and to get a bow kill I know now how hard hunt it is.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

That sounds like a very exciting hunt and about as fair chase as it gets. Congratulations on a sucessful hunt. Sounds like tons of fun and excitement.

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

Posted Image

Very comfrontable and brand new.
Posted Image

Mike, Bill, Joe and Jeff.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

Congrats Guys :clap: :clap: way to go :boone: :boone:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#10 Tenn. Ridgerunner

Tenn. Ridgerunner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Well here is my story, We arrived at the Wilderness Lodge on Sunday around noon, Mark had not arrived yet so myself and Bill headed out. We were soon on Fallows and soon learned that they were Rutting. On Monday Morning when I got up I walked outside before sun up and heard some Bucks on the hill behind the lodge raising cane. I got Mark and Bill up and out the door we went. It was not long until we busted up some Fallow Romance and they all ran to the top of a Steep Ridge. We started walking when all of the sudden here comes a huge Boar charging in. I have never seen someone unsling a bow and nock and arrow as fast as Mark did. After the hog left we were standing there looking at the scrapes and rubs these deer were making. Just like whitetails. Bill shouted here comes a buck working the scrape line and headed straight to us. We set up and watched this buck work the scrape line for over 200 yards. When he got the scrape in front of us I made a great 30 yard shot killing the deer, he went only about 20 yards and fell over dead, I had killed a great 17 point Fallow and was estatic, :clap: :clap: :clap: I owe this to my wife, She new how bad I had been wanting to kill a Fallow and she saved 1100.00 for me to take and she gave it to me on the day I left and told me to kill what ever I wanted too. 3:) 3:) I had a great hunt meeting Joe, seeing Jeff, Mark and Bill again and even had a surprise visit from Norm S. He seemed like he was feeling good but still having some problems. Mark thats the first time I ever saw someone kill a deer in self defense.
There is nothing more enjoyable than the sound of the woods waking up in the morning.

#11 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:12 AM

aw man sure sorry i missed the excitment in the tn hills this time, but had to work, and try to get last minute things done round here before winter kicks in.... sounds like you all had the best of times, and congrats in some super trophies and memories of a lifetime.
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#12 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

Man I need to win the lottery......

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

Glad you had a great hunt there guys. Congrats.
Posted Image

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

I am so glad that old Norm S. is doing better. Thanks for the update.

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

Glad you all had such awesome hunts and were able to share them together to boot. Who could ask for more? Congrats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users