Hunter Charged In Horse Shooting.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

This was in our local paper. I was simply reading along untill I got to the part about the horse being tied up an saddled, and they refer to it as an accident?

SUMMIT COUNTY — A hunter who mistakenly shot and killed a horse this week was cited with careless hunting by the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

The man has been identified as Jarrod M. Smith, 30, of Savannah, Ga.
“He was extremely remorseful,” said division spokesman Randy Hampton.
Alcohol is not suspected as a factor in the hunting accident Tuesday evening in the Slate Creek drainage, Hampton said.

The misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of $100 to $1,000 and up to one year in jail.

Smith also faces the possible loss of his hunting privileges in Colorado and other states, pending the outcome of the legal proceedings and an administrative hearing.
According to preliminary reports from wildlife managers, the horse was tied up and saddled, but rider-less.

No other details of the investigation have been released.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

<:( :doh2:

#3 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

AAAAAHHHHH, it's called "Identify your target before pulling the trigger"... :blink:

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:38 AM

I remember a story from childhood that my brother told me of some NY city guys who decided to go hunting here in PA & they shot a cow, was loading it on their car when they were stopped. the officer asked if they got one & they said yeah a big one. Turned out to be a heffer not a deer.

I took my hunter ed course in 7th grade as an after school class. I cant remember but Im sure theres a picture of a deer in the training manual somewhere....right?

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

And Bruce this guy was a bowhunter and made this sort of horrible mistake in judging????

:doh: That smarted! :rofl:
Can't understand how this happened and sure wish he gets the full force of the law and plus has to pay for all the loss to the owner of the horse.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

Whitetiger,
I recall hearing that story about the heffer on a vehicle some years ago (longer than I'd like to admit to though).

The way I recall the story:

" A guy pulled into a small town to stop for gas. He had the jersey cow/heffer strapped to the roof or hood. All the local rednecks gathered around citing all kinds of heckles and digs, while the driver was in the gas station paying for his fill-up. When the driver emerged, he faced the usual hunting questions, but from a yocal local who was unable to refrain from laughter. "Git a big un, did yu?" Of course the boys in the back were laughingly urging him on. The driver took all the jabs in stride, then calmly responded, "I shot it! I paid for it! I'm taking it home!"

Of course I believe that it's either not true or has changed significantly to embellish what was likely a goat that was hit on the road by some guy talking on his cell phone! :blush: :D

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#7 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

AAAAAHHHHH, it's called "Identify your target before pulling the trigger"... :blink:

BINGO!!! It's absolutely inexusable!

"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Yea right you see elk with saddles all the time. Book em Dano.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

How can anyone get close enough for a bow shot and mistake a horse for a deer? Some people just don't need to have any kind of a firearm in their possesion. :no:

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:29 AM

dont know if it was rifle or bow...but in any case.....it shouldn't have happened.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

Backstraps at least 4 ft long :)- and 50lb roasts!! In my neck of the woods, we have had just about every kind of farm animal shot by someone mistaking it for a deer, from german shepards to holstein bulls. I sometimes think that peer pressure to get that "first one" causes people to abandon common sense. Worst part is, once you pull the trigger on the gun or release, there is no calling the shot back.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

It's truly sad that some people are so careless. When Jason was old enough to start hunting that's one of the first things I drilled into him. Know not just what you're shooting at, but know where that bullets going when it passes through or if you miss. Every year, as Jeff said, there's all kinds of animals shot because some fool mistook them for deer. What's really sad though is the PEOPLE killed every deer and turkey season for the same reason. I've never wanted any kind of game so bad that I couldn't wait how ever long it took to be sure what I was shooting at. People that make that kind of mistake should be banned from hunting before they kill someone.

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 October 2008 - 02:23 PM.

#13 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

About 20 years ago here in Omaha a group of african americans went out quail hunting. Well they stopped at a courtesy check and to the surprise of the game and parks official they had 2 coolers full of the state bird. Yep meadow lark quail I think. :lol: These boys couldn't believe there sucess on quail that day. Needless to say they had a HUGE fine and a loss of hunting privelages for so many years. I had a young kid that was a senior at the school I work for in 1996. He and his brother went up to Wisconsin to hunt deer. He mistakenly shot a cow thinking it to be a deer at 300 yrds. It was the only cow in the field but he said it was hard to distinguish it because of the woods as a background. Come to find out there were another 50 head just inside the timber line and this poor cow was just grazing on the outside. The farmer happened to be close by and called the authorities. He had all his posessions taken from him (firearms and new 1996 Ford 4x4). Besides a huge fine and the loss of hunting privelages in that stae forever he recieved a formal letter from the state inviting him up to bid on his Truck and guns :rofl: Boy how important it is to have a mentor to teach resposibility and respect for nature not to mention farmers cows.

Steve

#14 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

Between my job in customer service for the local cable company and schmucks like that guy. I find myself pondering....are we the last of the people with common sense? I get people everyday who think that its ok to call in to activate their "cable box" while its still in the box on the back seat of the car on the way home to hook it up after they've been told while picking it up to call when its connected. Then they are genuinely suprised that I cant turn it on with out it being connected to.....you got it.......the cable line! Or the people who try to use their kids ss#'s because they've already stuck us with a bad account and we wont reconnect with out them paying up. And they again see no issue with this?! Good thing we've been doing credit checks on all new customers for the past 3 or 4 years now. Anyone with a score of less then 500 now has to prepay for 2 months & installation at time of install unless they're from NJ then its only 1 month & install because NJ considers cable tv an actual utility (goes to show how messed up jersey is again) where PA has it correct and treats it as a luxury because a true utility is something you need to survive (water, power....ect). Only time Ive heard someone dying over cable was when their spouse/kids find out the service was cut.

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Several years back there was a guy that killed a buffalo archery deer season. He didn't have much choice though as the buffalo had gotten loose and chased him all over a field untill he was able to get a shot off. The owner helped him butcher it and said he'd done him a favor since he couldn't catch the beast. Boy that was one lucky hunter. Managed to survive the attack and ended up with some fantastic eating. The same year a fellow brought a goat in to be checked. He was convinced it was a deer. We need more people hunting but sadly some people have no buiseness being issued a hunting license.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users