• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

Well the UPS man showed up to my door with a big box. So I had to go and test drive this thing.. First I watched the video (waste of time IMO) And then I read the manual. After all, safety first..

My first impressions of the rifle are VERY POSITIVE. While the receiver is not stainless steel, the hardware to stock fit is excellent. The ramrod must have been designed by someone that does not hunt or target shoot, but then for loading once, maybe twice in the field, I think it is going to work out just fine.

The trigger on this rifle is VERY GOOD!! I checked it and it broke just under #4 pounds. (I use my digital fish scale, tied to the trigger). Also when I cleaned the rifle and finally got around to popping a few primers, I was shocked. I at first thought something was wrong as when I fired it with a dry patch on the end of the jag, I knew the primer went off, but there really was not the LOUD sound I expected. So I just fired a primer. The dog jumped and he's almost deaf, so it must have worked perfect.

Posted Image

Finally satisfied that I was ready to hit my range, I loaded up with some Black Horn 209, Winchester W209 primers, Triple Se7en 2f, 250 grain Shockwaves, and some 300 grain .44 caliber .430 diameter Hornady XTP's with some Green Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. I figured the fiber optic sights would be close, so I put the target at 50 yards. I also could see these sights very well today in the cloudy conditions. It was in the high 40's very over cast, and a slight wind at times.

I loaded 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 and a 250 grain Shockwave. I will report this rifle shoots the BlackHorn 209 powder off perfect. Not a hangfire all day.
This is the first three shots.

Posted Image

I looked at the sights and noticed they were set all the way to the bottom of the incline. Strange as normally they are at the half way point. But I was very pleased with the group. Of course I did not swab when shooting the Black Horn powder.

Posted Image

Group #1 is with the 250 grain Shockwaves and Black Horn 209 powder. Group #2 is with the same bullet but shooting 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f powder. Swabbing between shots.

I then made a moderate sight adjustment and went back to the BlackHorn 209 powder. I was shooting the shockwaves still. Group #3 is a mix of both Blackhorn 209 and Triple Se7en powder shooting the Shockwaves. I then got to thinking, swabbing with my mix, was this effecting the BlackHorn?

I made another adjustment and for some reason the left to right adjustment screw came loose. I shot Group #4 and was kind of surprised until I checked the sight. I only fired two rounds with Triple Se7en (as the BlackHorn is all gone.. Posted Image ) and made a slight adjustment right and then shot group #5. This was the end of my Shockwaves.

I then had to wipe off the "cam action" as it was getting sticky from something. Also I will tell you that when you set the primer in this rifle, it helps to hold your thumb on the primer while you close the cam. Or the cam seems to catch the edge of the primer and not want to close. This concerns me for when I scope this, how do I get my fat fingers in there under the scope. But we will address that problem when I get to it.

I then started shooting some 300 grain Hornady XTP's with the green Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. With 100 grains of Triple Se7en they shot to the same place as the 250 grain shockwaves. I then wanted to see how fussy this rifle was about swabbing.

Posted Image

I selected the upper right corner bull as my target and fired three rounds without swabbing. The lowest hit was the last of the three. I had got a very late start with the rifle. But I wanted to shoot it bad, so I called it a day and will try this again soon.

Cleanup of the rifle is very easy. The gun comes apart easy. The breech plug, while it takes forever to turn the thing out, came out well. I had used Slick 50 one grease on it. When I put it back, I taped it and greased it. I did not take the trigger out yet, but I did not think it needed cleaning. I will do that the next time I shoot. Probably tomorrow.

Overall I like the rifle, but I am not ready to say it is great. After all the first time I handled and shot it. Its hard to be real positive about any rifle that quickly. It is heavy but well balanced. The stock is easy to hold on to, and fits me very well. The stainless barrel is not a gloss of stainless, so it blends into the rifle real well. I might only put a 1x scope on this rifle as I have a T/C around here somewhere. Although I do have some other scopes I could throw on just to play with the accuracy of the rifle a little.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

Wow Cayugad you must have the power. Rifles just seem to tame right down in your hands. How did the bullets load in the Genesis.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

The bullets load kind of strange. The Genesis has a false muzzle, so you can set a sabot right in there. Then there is a "slight lip" of sorts. You take the short starter and POP then past that lip and then they load real nice. The Shockwaves were a good fit. And the Harvester Crushed Ribs were nice to load too. I want to shoot some conicals out of it next.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

I read somewhere that the Genesis was kinda picky on bullets but yours seems to like your initial offerings any how. Good luck playing with it.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

I took it out and shot it again today just for fun. The rifle has very good balance. The trigger is real good and breaks clean with no creep to it. Today I was shooting 200 grain Shockwaves and 100 grains if Pyrodex RS. As like yesterday, it piled them right into a nice tight group (a little to the left). I would have took pictures but got the camera out and the big red flashing battery sign came on and then the camera turned off. I swear I had just recharged these batteries...

Anyway, with open sights off a bench at 50 yards, it shot about a two inch group not counting one flier. No reason why that one decided to take off, but that would have made the group over four inches... I was swabbing between shots, and taking my time. It was cold today so the barrel was not heating bad. And like I said, it piled them good, all but that one that flew for some reason. Every so often I get a round that will do that. Even with my Whites. All will be going too good, and then BAM!! you shoot and its way out of the group.. I guess that is why I like my muzzleloaders.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

Oh don't fel bad about the occasional flier even with my unvast experience I get one once in a while too. I will say my knight bighorn only throws the flier about an inch and a half out. I would venture to say that any muzzleloader in the hands of a real master will do as well as it is capable. I really enjoy your posts and how you go about with your trials of all things muzzleloader. I know you tend to push off praise but my friend my hat is off to you especially your willingness to share with we huddled masses.

#7 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

That was a very interesting read and some great observations-thanx for sharing Cay!...I don't know much about the genesis-but we are all very familiar w/the makers! Looks like you got a shooter!...have fun getting it "down".

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

Stick don't be too quick to heap any sort of praise on the name stamped on the barrel of the Genesis. Remington does not make it. It is made as far as I know in Spain at the same plant as CVA and Traditions and a few others are made. Winchester also has or had a muzzleloader with their name on it but they do not make it either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users