6 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Jason has been shooting his new CVA Optima with 100 grains of powder and was thinking of uping it to the maximum 150 grains. Now I know that, just because they say some rifles are rated for the "magnum" 150 grain load, they all don't necesarily handle it well. Soooo, my question is; does anyone know if the Optima shoots well using 150 grains and does it do it safely?

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

150 grains in pellet form with the 209 primer is the only safe way to go according to the manufacturer. Or he could push 120 grains of loose powder but that is stretching a lot of rifles. I think their manual suggests 100 grains of loose as the max load. Even 110 grains of powder is a magnum load. Also whether the rifle will handle it will depend on the rifle and the bullet he is shooting.

If I were going to shoot that kind of powder, I would go with a Shockwave, Barnes, Parker, Nosler or one of the better bullets that seem to handle large powder charges. I like the Barnes and Shockwaves myself. If he's shooting XTP's then I would not go with magnum charges as it can have adverse effects on the bullet performance.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

I use only 80 grains of real bp 2f. Monday the doe I shot with a 300 gr xtp was hit at about 50 yds. She was head on to me. I was aiming at the base of her neck but she must have been dropping her head as I fired because the bullet went through her ear and entered the neck near the head. It travelled well over 2 feet in a very tough area of a deer. It hit the spine in two places. That bullet was kinda busted up but my point is it went that far with only 80 gr of powder. I see no earthly reason to shoot 150 gr of powder. I truly think that there are few rifles that shoot any better at those levels of powder than they do with 50 or more less gr of powder. Unless I am going after Africa's big five I just don't see the need.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

I am shooting 150 (3 50 grain) pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain Hornandy sst and it is shooting great out of my CVA Optima,

From what I can gather from my sources, People are having problems when they are loading 150 grains of Trip 7 and some of the newer powders, that are a little hotter than the pyrodex, thus causing to much pressure in the barrel, I think If you were to load 150 grains of Trip 7 its like loading 180 or 190 grains of pyrodex big diff, sorry for the ramble here back on subject

at 200 yards (with a scope) I am shooting a 5 shot group I can cover whith a copenhagen can about 2.5 inches, of course that is off the bench using my Lead Sled,

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

RL you make a good point. If you compare 777 loose to any other loose powder it is 15% stronger and must be reduced by 15% to equal the others. This also applies if you compare 777 loose with any other pelletized powders. BUT if you compare 777 pelletized to the other pelletized the 777 pellets are equal to the others and it takes three to equal 150 gr of real black powder. It is a little confusing but that is what I perceive is the problem.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Thanks guys. Jason uses Pyrodex right now but is may be switching to 777 pellets so it's good to know. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 27 October 2008 - 06:58 PM.

#7 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

Norm, from my experiance and hearing what others are saying triple 7 is a much hotter load than just pyrodex. At 150 gr. of tri 7 the bullet seems to skip a few turns in the barrell thus loss of consistancy and accuracy. This was true for my knight t-bolt also. I put 150 gr. of pyrodex in and a 250 barnes sabboth and was shooting all over the place even though the knight says it is a magnum. Knight says it can only load 110 max. which they say is their magnum load. I would tell Jason to start with 100 then add from there. Try several gr. bullets to see which is giving him the best pattern.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users