• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Soil411

Soil411

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

I have never used an aluminum friction call before. And i was curious how are they in comparison to a slate or glass friction call?

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

Welcome to the forum, Andy. :hi:

Obviously, they work on the same principle and produce a similar sound to their brothers. They work well with wood, carbon, and acrylic strikers. The main differences are in conditioning the surface and in the tone quality. Conditioning is done primarily with sandpaper/emery cloth. (I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to use Scotch-Brite/Brillo pads on slate surfaces and not sandpaper.) I would say the tone of most aluminum calls I've used could be described as a bit more harsh than slate. They tend to be high pitched yet very raspy when paired with a carbon striker. On windy days or when I'm trying to reach out a little farther with my calling, I like a good aluminum call. They compare with a glass surface in that aspect, but with more of a "ringing" quality. (What can I say, it's metal. :) )

Not a bad call to have in your arsenal.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Welcome aboard Andy. You came to the right place if you have any questions or just want a place to hang out with good people. :D

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

Welcome Andy I too hunt turkeys with a great deal of zeal. I do not have an aluminum call. I do use several glass/slate calls and a couple of box calls. My dad had an aluminum call but I never got it to sound as well as he could.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Soil411

Soil411

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

Thank you guys for the information.

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

I agree with Jeremiah on using the Metal Grade 3M Scotchbrite to condition friction calls.

That high pitched "squealer" style call may not sound "good" to the caller but sometimes that high pitch is EXACTLY what the turkeys want to hear. Aluminum are almost always the highest pitched slates. But some composite types are sometimes as high or better.

Honestly, nowadays I lean towards a composite friction call or a single reed diaphragm to get my high pitched calls.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users